25. Potential Progress

Chapter 25

My eyes switched between the cute floral top and the fitted black top.

I placed the floral top over the pair of high waisted denim jeans on the bed, and then switched the floral top for the black one. This pattern only repeated for the next five minutes. I didn't know why I felt so nervous, this wasn't going to be the first time Paul and I spent time alone, but there was a label on it this time. Our first date. Not just watching a movie or having lunch in the cafeteria. This time was slightly more daunting. Thinking back, I couldn't remember feeling this nervous about any other dates I'd been on before. But then again, Paul was different.

Definitely the black top; it was more me.

A knock on my door captured my attention and without a second thought I called out.

"Come in!" My mother opened the door and entered the room, closing the door after herself. I glanced over her attire (she wore a stunning pair of black pants that complimented the length of her legs, paired with a cute split sleeve white blouse) and turned back to my outfit. Maybe the floral shirt would look dressier?

"Kira, I was intending to ask if you were available tonight...but it seems you still have plans with Paul?" She asked, glancing down at the clothes on the bed, and pile of clothes by my drawers. I frowned and slowly turned to face her. My mother and I rarely spent much time together in Australia, if ever we spent anytime together. Often, if we it was only us two home alone at night, I opted instead to visit friends and spend time with them than stay at home with her. Yet, here she was asking to spend time with me. And I wasn't going to prioritise her.

"Oh, um...maybe tomorrow night?" I offered, "Paul is supposed to pick me up at seven." I glanced at my alarm clock to see that I had another hour before I was to expect him at the sliding door. She nodded and sat down on the bed, confusing me slightly. I honestly expected her to take that one on the chin and turn back around, leaving me to get ready on my own.

"I visited Sue today, while you were at school" She informed me, her tone light and a small smile on her lips. Is my mother making small talk?

"Oh, really," To be honest, I wasn't sure how to respond, "That must have been nice. You guys used to be pretty tight as kids, right?" She nodded.

"A long time ago. It seems, though, we still have a lot in common now." I couldn't help but think that they both shared the title of widows and felt a drop in my gut.

"That's nice. Did you catch up then?"

"We did and we had lots to cover, so it was lovely to do so." I nodded, feeling myself slowly relax but not allowing myself to fall completely under her spell. I wanted to remain alert just in case I had to jump into defence. "Anyway, this Paul character...he seems interesting." My mind drifted to the conversation Paul and I shared at his place yesterday. And quickly my relaxation was fading.

"I can't believe you offered him money" I scoffed with disbelief, turning to the pile of clothes on the floor and slowly start picking each up to stuff back in the drawer. My mother didn't look shocks or defensive at the fact.