50. Letters To Me

Chapter 50

Kira's POV

The steam from the scrambled eggs rose and the scent of bacon filled my nostrils. The smell was making me hungrier, but I was waiting for my French toast to finish cooking-which apparently it was almost done. Rick sat down and placed a plate of French toast in front of me.

"Boun appetito" Rick smiled, leaning back in his chair. I looked over my plate unsure of where to start, then look back up at him. I frown wondering why he isn't eating and then remember that vampires don't eat human food.

"It looks so good," I smiled, "So this girl..." I trailed and wiggled my brows, as I started cutting into my bacon and taking a piece if French toast from the pile.

"Her name is Monique or Nicky as she introduces herself, she prefers it over Monique-but I call her Monique" he told me.

"You really like this girl". The way he spoke about Monique was in a way an imprint might speak of his imprintee.

"I do. I went to Denali and stayed with the vampires for about a month or two, then left. Don't get me wrong, they were nice and I really liked staying there, but I was getting bored and a little lonely. They helped me to control my thirst and said I picked it up very, very quickly. I think I was so desperate to get out of there though; I was motivated to learn it quicker so I could leave. When I left Denali I went to a few places around America before realising that I couldn't explore the city during the day, because I bloody sparkle" he explained with a sigh at the end, clearly frustrated by this condition. I looked down at his hand and saw his skin wasn't as pale as the Cullen's were, if anything it was a few subtle shades darker.

"So did you only move around at night?" I asked taking a bite out of the French toast and sighed contently.

"Yes I had to. I moved to Chicago because the weather around November is usually colder. There I met Monique". A smile made its way to his lips as the memory must have replayed in his head.

"How did you two meet?" I asked eating a slice of bacon.

"It was a cold night and it was lightly raining. I had gone out that day to eat-animals and animals only- and I had gone back to Chicago because I had a motel room. As I was walking through the streets this particular night, I heard a women crying and with my sensitive hearing I heard her struggling as well. I found the alley way she was in and saw three thugs attacking this fragile looking girl. Of cause I felt bad for her, so I walked in and they attacked me as well. I broke the first guys jaw and leg, seven ribs of the second guy and the third guy I nearly broke his neck" he sneered and took a sip of water. I gasped.

"Nearly? So you didn't break his neck?" I asked. He shook his head.

"I heard her heart beat and it was beating so hard I was convinced she would have a heart attack. So I knocked the guy out with a punch and went to help her. She was scared, but thankful. She hugged me. I mean I was a stranger to her and I could have been another thug, but she hugged me" he said with a smile.

"I never thought I'd see the jock go soft for a girl" I raised my brows. A certain sadness and pain filled his gut.

"Well, I'm not really a jock anymore" he muttered. I looked down at my plate.

"Sorry, I-uh sort of forgot" I apologised. He shrugged.

"It's ok. I have learned to accept what I am now," he assured me, "but to be honest I am still finding it strange to grasp the concept of being a supernatural being".

"Does she know?" I asked taking a sip of my water. He shook his head.

"Not yet, but I can tell she is getting suspicious. So I will have to tell her soon," he said with a sigh, "someone's here". There was suddenly a knock at the door startling me. Rick smirked and stood up from the table. I stood up as well.