4. Fiery Rage

Chapter 4

Even though I'd been in La Push for nearly a week, the sight of the forest had yet dulled in its beauty. Driving through the remote road in a car was one thing, but riding on a motorcycle through the tall trees was a completely different experience. With one arm around Jacob, the other reached for the treetops as though if I extended it enough then I might just touch them. Jacob had glanced over his shoulder a few times to check out my excitement and each time I sent him a small laugh, one that fell genuinely from my lips. Not forced or choreographed to make anybody happy, but because the feeling was absolutely authentic of expressing how I truly felt.

For the first time since coming to La Push, I felt an ounce of true happiness. I'm grateful for Emily, but this moment was different, it felt like pure joy. Motorbikes were always something I loved wholeheartedly. It was an activity my father and I used to do together on our land to pass the time on the weekend, thus the piece of machinery held a special place in my heart. So to be on the back of one and surrounded by the stunning forestry was simply a moment I needed. It reminded me of home, but it was still a new experience. Jacob steered the bike off the road and rode around the side of little red house, before parking the motorcycle in a garage. Reluctant to accept that the ride was over, I slowly swung my leg off the bike and took my helmet off.

"That was amazing!" I explained, turning to him with a grin, "But next time, I drive!" He laughed and shook his head.

"No way! I don't want to die" He playfully retorted. I scoffed, shoving his helmet against his chest jokingly.

"Get out of 'ere! I'm faster than you, so I'll just beat you to the bike. Then you'll have no choice" I concluded with a shrug. Jacob placed the helmet on his workbench and shook his head.

"I'm stronger than you, I'll just push you aside." My eyes practically rolled into the back of my head.

"Oh, please! Just because you're packing a bit of muscle, now you think..." I wasn't able to finish my sentence at the sight of his brows lifting and the smile on his lips pull exceptionally wider.

"Oh, so you've noticed, have you?" Jacob teased.

"Shut up!" He laughed at my sheepish expression.

"Come on, let's get some food." Jacob entered the red house through a back door, and headed straight for the kitchen, offering me food and drinks.

"Jake, you home?" A deep voice called out from another room. I turned my head and watched as a man in a flannel shirt entered the room, pushing his wheelchair effortlessly. His skin was the same russet colour as Jacob's and hair just as long as Jacob, which was pulled into a messy ponytail. The older man's eyes instantly met mine with interest before turning to his son's with curiosity. Jacob's head lifted from the inside of the fridge.

"Yeah, dad. This is Kira. Kira this is my dad, Billy Black" Jacob introduced, before continuing to pull another container from the fridge.

"Hello." I approached the man and extended my hand. His hand gently enclosed around mine and shook it. His skin wasn't as warm as Sam and Embry's had been, though.