10. Send Me Back For All I Care

Chapter 10

A gasp left my lips. 

Why is that scent familiar? Sam pondered. Paul!

I can't put my finger on it! Paul exclaimed with frustration, but his tone wasn't convincing and Sam noticed this the second Paul thought it. 

It's Kira's scent, Sam decided. Get her out of here before she gets hurt! Her scent is strong.  

I fumbled with the ignition key, causing me to cock my head to the side in order to find the insert and when I looked up Paul was standing in the headlights, pulling up his shorts in haste. Our eyes locked and it seemed like we were staring at each other for hours. My breath caught in my throat at the sight of his defined tan chest and disheveled hair. His eyes looked back at mine wildly until a sound snapped him out of our trance. He hurriedly walked around the car and opened the door. 

"We can smell your scent. Sam knows you're around and with Jacob being new turned...he's unpredictable. I couldn't bear seeing you get hurt" Paul leaned into the car, bringing his face closure to mine in a desperate attempt to convince me to leave the scene.

"Is he okay? Did he shift...well?" I asked, the image of his wolf struggling to stand entering my mind. The shift seemed painful and the sound that left his throat echoed in her mind. Paul frowned slightly. 

"Why do you care?" He wondered, tone suggesting a wave of irritation. 

"It looked painful, Paul. I was asking out of friendly concern," I told him. "We are friends." He nodded. 

"He's doing alright, just going through the same process we all went through. Confused, disorientated, more confused," He recounted, reaching into the car and placing his warm hand on her shoulder. "Please, drive back to Emily's." 

"Yeah, okay. I'll see you tomorrow?" I questioned, running a hand through my hair. He nodded, giving my shoulder a squeeze. 

"Of course." Paul leant into the car and placed a soft kiss against my cheek, leaving a tingling sensation. I sent him a smile. 

"Be safe." The request left my lips without me thinking about the words thoroughly. He sent me a smile, one that was stretched across his lips with appreciation. A look in Paul's eyes crossed his features , brightening his expression. With another lasting look he backed away from the car and jogged back into the dark forest, leaving my with my spiralling emotions. Was I starting to feel something for this boy?

As he disappeared from view, I pushed the car's transmission into drive and stepped on the accelerator, speeding onto the asphalt. The tyres kicked loose rocks back in its desperate escape as I made my way back to Emily's, attempting to remember the roads Jacob drove through. My eyes glanced into the rear view mirror desperately, as my mind attempted to reel back the memories of the roads Jacob took.

A wrong left turn later and I declared myself lost. What was worst is just after turning the car around the engine stuttered to a halt in the middle of the lane, which resulted in a furious tantrum behind the wheel. Pulling the car door open slightly rougher than I should have, but I had grown frustrated in the last hour or two of driving around. I walked around the car to the trunk and opened it, glancing at the scarce contents within. A crowbar, a box of tools, a hoodie, a pair of shorts, a towel... 

I pulled the hoodie out and slipped it over my body. I flicked the hood up, cast the scent changing spell and stormed into the forest. Glancing around the area, I dragged together a pile of twigs and broken branches. I sat on the floor, crossing my legs together and opened my palms in front of the pile, projecting numerous balls of fire into the wood.