5. Stirring Tension

Chapter 5

"Did you have fun at Jacob Black's house the other day?" Paul asked, while we sat side-by-side in his truck, driving through the quiet streets of La Push, our destination being the high school. Jared and Embry had jumped into the tray of the truck, leaving Paul and I to occupy each other's company in the cab. We hadn't spoken a word to one another, partially because I'd been giving him a slight cold shoulder. For an unknown reason, it had bothered me that he hadn't been on my side when Emily sent me to bed the other night (that the boys found themselves around the dining table covered in burns). Although the matter was miniscule, it had felt like a bigger deal. It was indescribable.

"Yes, Jacob has been really nice" I responded curtly, my eyes unmoved from the windshield. I'd noticed that there had been something in Paul's tone that suggested he wasn't pleased with the arrangement, but I wasn't going to humour him by playing this odd game. Plus, I wasn't happy with him either.

"I'm sure" Paul mumbled. His annoyance annoyed me.

"What's the issue, mate?" I snapped back at him, my eyes narrowing as I turned to him.

"Nothing, I just asked a question," He responded, "No need to get your panties in a twist."

"Don't be snarky then," I grumbled, crossing my arms with irritation, before adding childishly, "Plus, you sound like the one with the twisted knickers." He grunted in response, letting the conversation go just as quickly as it started. Paul brought the truck to a halt in our usual parking spot and I couldn't slide out of the tense confinements faster. I joined Embry and Jared at the back of the truck. Embry sent me a tight-lipped grin and then glanced over his shoulder at the noticeably stiff Paul who joined us as well.

"Ready for class?" He offered. I nodded quickly.

"Hold on, Embry." I heard Paul's voice call as he joined our circle. His eyes seemed trained on me as he stepped towards us and I sensed a determination in him as he neared us. "I need to speak for Kira for a moment." Embry nodded and offered me a tight lipped smile.

"I'll catch up with you for first period." I nodded and leaned against the side of the truck, watching Embry and Jared walk away.

"What's the matter, Paul?" I wondered.

"I wanted to ask you the same thing. Why are you annoyed with me?" He asked.

"I'm not." Lie.

"You are. What did I do?" I let out a sigh.

"You didn't do anything." I wasn't about to tell him about being annoyed that he didn't side with me the other night and should I completely forget about his cold first impression. He definitely wasn't the friendliest of people and I would be happy to remain an acquaintance with him, at the bare minimum.

"I must have done something. What did I do that's annoyed you so much?" I felt him inch closer. I tried to ignore the fact that my heart beat a little faster.