Chapter 7

Hiccup woke up early the following morning. He had placed a pillow on the floor and had fallen asleep there after putting Astrid to bed. Hiccup yawned and slowly got up to check on Astrid. He had found her sound asleep and was more than happy to let her sleep in.

After stretching he went out of the room to find the sisters in the kitchen.

"Good morning ladies." Hiccup greeted.

"Good morning." Camilla and Melissa said. "How is your wife?"

"She is doing a bit better now and I thought to let her sleep in for a while longer." Hiccup explained as Melissa handed him a piece of bread. "You ladies mentioned that you needed a bit of help?"

"Oh yes. The roof leaks when a storm hits." Camilla explains. "We have yet to repair it."

"I would be happy to take a look at it for you ladies." Hiccup said. "It might just be that some of the tiles shifted."

"Thank you very much." Melissa said. "We've been meaning to check it ourselves but Camilla is afraid of heights. Come I'll show you where the ladder is."

Melissa had shown Hiccup where they kept the tools and he then set out to work on the roof. It took a few hours but Hiccup managed to find and patch all the areas which leaked. Hiccup had come down the ladder when he saw Camilla heading towards him with a pitcher.

"I thought you might be thirsty." She said and handed him a cup already filled with water.

"Thank you Camilla." Hiccup said as her gladly drank the proffered water. "I couldn't help but notice that you don't have much firewood left."

"Yes. I should start gathering more today. Winter will be upon us soon." Camilla mentioned.

"I could take care of that." Hiccup offered.

"Thank you kindly sir." Camilla said. "I shall then check up on your wife."

Camilla went back inside, or at least she pretended to. She was silently following Hiccup who began staggering and then fainted on his way to the little shed out back.

Camilla quickly approached Hiccup and rolled him over pleased that the herbs had taken effect. She saw her sister running to her frantically just as she was about to call her.

"What is it Melissa?" Camilla asked.

"We have more visitors approaching. A party of four."

Camilla's eyes widened. "Help me with him." She said as they proceeded to drag an unconscious Hiccup to the forest. Camilla then sprinted back to the house and entered the back door to hear some knocks coming from the front.

She made it to her front door and opened it slightly. In front of her she could see the party of four that her sister had described. Two were knights, the other was a rather heavy set looking cleric, and they had a woman who looked identical to one of the knights accompanying them. Each of the party members had a glazed over look in their eyes and were staring straight forward when Camilla had opened the door.

Camilla beckoned them inside and like puppets they obeyed. Each then took a seat and were staring blankly forward.

Camilla then headed to the little room where Astrid was. She peered inside and saw that Astrid was still sleeping. Relieved she left her new visitors where they were and went back outside to find her sister.

Melissa had dragged Hiccup farther into the forest when Camilla rejoined them. She looked up and Camilla indicated that there was nothing to worry about.

"So they are entranced?" Melissa asked and her sister nodded. They continued to drag Hiccup further into the forest until their house could not be seen any more.

Meanwhile in the cottage Astrid leapt out of bed, her headache was still prominent and she cursed for not realizing it sooner. She had been awake before and was looking through the window when she saw the party approach. Astrid frowned as she saw their vacant looks as they got nearer. The party of four bound their horses to a nearby tree and approached the house.

Astrid jumped back in bed and pretended to be asleep when she heard approaching footfalls. She got out of bed and grabbed Hiccup's sword which lay against the wall after Camilla had closed the door and went back downstairs.

She heard a door slam and then quietly crept out of her room. Making her way downstairs she found the party staring blankly into space. Astrid pursed her lips. She had been right and a fool not to notice it immediately.

Astrid found no one else in the house and dread crept up to her when she could not locate Hiccup as well. Gripping the sword tighter she then headed out through the back door. There was no one in sight but Astrid noticed drag marks leading into the forest.

Astrid's eyes narrowed and she quickly followed the tracks.

Meanwhile the sisters had gotten to a clearing in the forest where they set Hiccup down. Camilla proceeded to pull off Hiccup's tunic when she saw her sister watching pensively.

"What is it sister?"

"I am wondering why it did not work." Melissa murmured. "It worked on our other guests."

Camilla nodded as she began to weave magic around Hiccup. "I agree. It should have worked. He even had a wife who-" Camilla stopped her sentence as her eyes widened.

"Camilla?" Melissa hesitantly asked as she saw her sister tense.

"We've been foolish dear sister." Camilla whispered.

"Yes you have!" Was shouted from behind them and the sisters whirled around to see Hiccup's companion, with sword strapped to her back, glowering at them.

"Who are you!" Camilla hissed as she let her magic flow trying to intimidate her. Astrid never even batted an eye.

Astrid send a wave of her own magic at the sisters knocking them back and away from Hiccup. She then bend down and let out a relieved breath when she found Hiccup still breathing.

Glaring at the two sisters, who had gotten back up, she said in a deadly calm voice as the magic crackled around her in a green glow. "I am Astrid, Queen of Forline and Gods help you if you have hurt Hiccup."