Chapter 25

Hiccup blushed as he and Astrid were walking side by side to the throne room. "I still cannot believe you set your maids and seamstresses upon me." Hiccup mumbled which caused Astrid to stifle a laugh.

"You were the one who rushed into my chambers." Astrid stated. "My maids simply found your outfit lacking and asked to rectify that. You'll be surprised by what those ladies can make."

Drago scowled as he watched the Queen and her guest enter the throne room smiling at each other. As Astrid walked up to her throne she gave some polite nods to the scribes and guards in the room. "Eret why are you covered in scratches?"

"Oh I just ran into a prickly situation." Eret mumbled vaguely.

Astrid however upon setting her sights on Drago she let her magic loose. The force of the magical burst was directed solely at Drago and drew the attention of everyone in the room.

"Your Highness?" Drago asked as the hairs on his body began standing up. Drago could feel the Queen's magic swirling around him as his feet were being frozen to the ground.

"You went behind my back Drago." Astrid simply stated as she took a seat on her throne while Drago struggled to get free. "I really do not like it when people go behind my back." The tone Astrid used sounded like a very sharp knife ready to slice through anything.

"I do not know wha-" Drago started to say but stopped when he noticed that more of his body was freezing by the burst of Astrid's magic.

"Do not lie to me Drago. Did you think that I would not have found out about the extra taxes you had been charging the citizens."

"I was only doing what I thought was right." Drago reasoned as he quickly came up with an excuse. "We needed the extra taxes because of the damage caused by the bandits to the farms near the Eastern border."

Astrid however did not look satisfied. The scribes within the throne room had all backed up to where the knights lined the walls as the ice began to spread.

"You did mention attacks upon the farms there." Astrid said. "However you still went behind my back. The extra taxes are being returned to the people. I will go and deal with these so called bandits myself."

"Your Highness I would be more than happy to crush their operation. Just let me send a regiment of knights to the area to protect the farms." Drago hastily said as some icicles started forming on his hair and his breath became visible.

Astrid however was deep in thought and then turned towards Hiccup. "What do you think Hiccup?" Astrid asked startling Hiccup.

Hiccup was a bit at a loss of words and Astrid was more than happy to inform him of the situation along the Eastern borders as she kept Drago partially encased in a block of ice. "It's strange." Hiccup finally said. "Bandits usually target busy roads near densely populated places but you described the Eastern part as a more agricultural area. The roads would be mostly empty as people would have been spread out."

Astrid sat quietly on her throne as she thought of the situation in that area. She had watched her advisor's reaction when Hiccup explained and she was not impressed. Drago had tried to reason again that he would happily send a regiment to deal with the situation when Astrid spoke in a commanding voice.

"I shall go myself along with the Shadow corps to assess the situation. If it calls for a battle then we will be more than prepared." Astrid stated as she had faith in her most loyal knights.

"O..Of course your Highness." Was all that Drago said as he had started shivering but what Astrid stated next caused him to almost choke.

"Hiccup shall be acting Regent in my place."

"WHAT!" Both Hiccup and Drago exclaimed not having expected that.

"Astrid, what?!" Hiccup asked as he not fully comprehended what had just happened.

"Your Highness surely you jest!" Drago sputtered as he glared at Hiccup. "How can you leave someone you barely know in charge." 

"How can someone I've known for years go behind my back?" Astrid countered causing Drago to pale as Astrid sent him a glare. "Consider this a test. I trust Hiccup. He has not lied to me. Threw me off a cliff yes, but never lied. I shall not leave you in charge again until you earn my trust again."

"Your Highness, surely-" Drago started to reason but then stopped when the Queen's words fully registered in his head. "Wait! What do you mean threw you off a cliff!!" The cold was momentarily forgotten as he gave Hiccup an incredulous look.

"That is of no consequence now." Astrid stated leaving no room for argument. "We will depart in three days time. In the meantime I want Hiccup to have a suitable guards for once we have departed."

"Astrid what do you mean by suitable guards?" Hiccup asked.

"I will be taking the entire Shadow corps with me. I know that you and Toothless can handle yourselves in a fight but I still want some knights assigned to you as backup." Astrid explained. "I'll leave the final selection up to you Hiccup."

"Your Highness I would be happy to introduce your friend to some very able men." Drago quickly said. Astrid was of mind to leave Drago in that ice block for the day but she reconsidered. With a wave of her hand the ice disappeared leaving Drago shivering before the throne.

"Very well Drago. Hiccup and I shall accompany you to the training grounds later today. Displease me again and I shall make you a permanent fixture upon my fountain." Astrid said. Drago nodded hastily and then excused himself when the Queen had no more need for him that morning.

Drago grumbled loudly as he made his way back to his quarters. He had a servant summon one of his most trusted men. The now Footman Byzu stood waiting near Drago's chambers when the advisor arrived. Drago snarled when he saw the man before ushering him into the room.

"Why did you not warn me that the Queen found out about the taxes!" Drago hissed. "I nearly became a frozen sculpture!!"

Byzu took a step back. "Forgive me sir. I was immediately sent to gather my thing after being demoted. I had no time to inform you."

"And now the Queen's trust in me has plummeted. She has named that... that... vagabond who she traveled with as Regent while she is departing on official business!" Drago nearly screeched at the man. "All my plans are ruined now!"

"But surely you can gain the Queen's trust again." Byzu reasoned. "You have been her advisor for years."

"I might gain her trust once more but I will never be as close to the throne as I was. She called it a test. She must want to test this Hiccup to see if he has the potential to rule a kingdom at her side." Drago grumbled and looked at Byzu who did not seemed to comprehend the situation.

"Why not? You are still the royal advisor." Byzu stupidly asked.

"Because she has taken a liking to that man!!" Drago growled. "A very serious liking if the smiles they were sending each other were any indication. I would be Regent if anything ever happened to the Queen but if she takes that man as a consort than all power of the throne would become his."

"Why not simply eliminate the problem?" Byzu asked as an evil glint was visible in his eyes.

"That would cast suspicion on me you simpleton!" Drago hissed. "Unless....."