Chapter 9

Scorch marks littered the ground in the clearing. Astrid smirked as one sister lay unconscious while the other was backing away from her.

"I'll make you pay for hurting my sister!" Camilla hissed.

"Like I haven't heard that before." Astrid commented nonchalantly before releasing a blast knocking the woman back against a tree. Camilla was dazed and had trouble standing up.

"ASTRID!!!" Was shouted causing the Queen to turn around only to see Hiccup dashing out of the forest followed by his opponents.

"We need to get out of here!" Hiccup yelled and was about to pull her towards the forest when the knights charged into the clearing.

"What are they doing here!" Astrid shouted as she recognized them as Iliestian knights.

"The magic display must have lured them." Fishlegs muttered.

"Halt!" The knight commander shouted once more.

"How come they are not enchanted like I suspect we were?" Fishlegs asked and then Astrid pointed towards the trees where the sisters lay slumped unconscious.

"Oh" Fishlegs said in surprise.

"It's the Dark Queen!" One of the soldiers pointed out which caused all the other soldiers to focus their main attention on Astrid. The commander smirked. "This is our lucky day boys. We'll be rich!"

"Hiccup I don't think I have enough power to take on this many knights." Astrid murmured but the four which had followed behind Hiccup still heard her.

Snotlout puffed up his chest and said. "Never fear Snotlout is here!"

Astrid gave an uninterested look at Snotlout before turning back to Hiccup and repeating. "Hiccup I don't think I have enough power to take on this many knights."

"Did she just ignore me!" Snotlout shouted.

"Yes" The twins, Fishlegs, and Hiccup all said in unison.

"Surrender evil Queen and face justice!" The commander shouted and ordered his men to attack.

"Hiccup give me a minute to gather my magic." Astrid said as she ducked a sword slash while kicking one of the knights in the stomach.

Hiccup nodded as he jumped in front to shield Astrid. He was however very surprised as the other four joined in the battle as well. "Why are you helping?!" Hiccup asked.

"Too much competition!" Snotlout growled while parrying a blow.

"We are being overwhelmed!" Ruffnut said as a soldier grabbed her from behind.

"Let go of my sister you troll!" Tuffnut shouted as he charged at the man.

"Astrid any time now!" Hiccup yelled as he tried to hold off three knights but was rapidly losing ground.

Astrid let out a breath as she had gathered her power. Normally she could not do this on a battlefield but she trusted Hiccup enough to watch her back. She then let out her magic towards the sky while using a spell to amplify her voice.

"ENOUGH!" Astrid's voice echoed through the clearing causing the knights to flinch and take a step back.

"You dare attack us!" Astrid said as she willed her voice to calm. "You would dare to tangle with me! Then be prepared for the consequences!"

The knights flinched back as green thunder lit up the sky.

"If you wish to face me then you shall have to go through one of the most powerful dragons in existence!"

Hiccup raised an eyebrow at what Astrid was planning.

"Did she j...just s...say DRAGON!" Fishlegs squeaked as he took a few steps back.

"I shall summon from the mountains of my realm the offspring of lightning and death himself!" Astrid said as her voice was still amplified. The soldiers all, with exception of the commander, looked uneasy.

"Don't believe what that vile heretic is spouting!" The commander shouted. "She will get a worse fate than her knights!"

Astrid's eyes widened at the commander's statement and then she started her chant. Emboldened by their commander's courage the knights now charged forward once again. They however did not get very far as Astrid's magic slammed down on the ground knocking many back.

When the smoke and dust cleared everyone was watching in awe and shock as a jet black dragon lay curled in the middle of the clearing.

"It's an actual dragon." The commander sputtered, not believing what he was seeing. His knights held their swords pointed at the dragon but made no sudden movements.

"Now you shall feel my wrath!" Astrid said looking every bit a Dark Queen with the magic crackling around her. "Dragon! Get rid of these knights!"

The knights were all clutching their swords uneasy as the dragon poked his head up from where it lay to look at them. With a yawn the dragon then proceeded to lay its head back down and cover it with his tail.

Astrid was staring openmouthed at the dragon she had summoned. 'This was the offspring of lightning and death!' Went through her head as the soldiers started laughing.

"Hey dragon!" Astrid shouted trying to get its attention. "I summoned you for a reason you lazy reptile!"

The dragon however did not respond to Astrid and was still sleeping.

"So much for the great offspring of lightning and death!" The knight commander said as he clutched his middle from laughing. "Men arrest them all!"

The knights started advancing once more, now with more confidence, when Hiccup shouted "Dragon, I'll give you a basket of fish if you help us out!"

"Hiccup I do not think bribing it would help." Astrid mumbled as she got in a defensive stand.

Astrid was about to tell him to give up when she noticed the dragon's head had risen and it was listening intently.

"Think of all the big juicy fish!" Hiccup shouted and the dragon had stood up and was glowering at the advancing soldiers causing them to halt. Astrid simply stood there gobsmacked not knowing what to think.

"What did I just witness?" Snotlout mumbled as the black dragon was now advancing on the soldiers.

"Apparently you can bribe a dragon with food." Fishlegs whispered also not believing the sight. He had thought that they were doomed for certain.

The dragon proceeded to let out a loud roar before firing off a few purple blasts. The soldiers screamed as they were being targeted and ran back towards the forest.

"Where are you going!" The commander shouted but then the dragon's blast passed mere inches past his head which prompted him to shout "Retreat!"

"Oh no you don't!" Astrid yelled as she sent a small blast towards the commander, knocking him against a tree.

The dragon satisfied when the soldiers had retreated trotted back towards Hiccup and sat in front of him giving him a gummy smile.

"Weird dragon." Hiccup murmured as he watched the big green pupils dilate. "I'll get you your fish, but Astrid needs to finish some business here."

The dragon simply let out a croon of acknowledgement while sitting on his haunches.