Chapter 39

The following morning Hiccup and Toothless could be seen in one of the forges in the city. Toothless was hanging upside down from a wooden beam while he was hammering at a piece of metal. It was then when he heard his name called. Turning around he noticed that it was Cyne who stood in the doorway. Hiccup could not help but let out a chuckle as he took in the scene. Cyne was covered from head to toe with Terrible Terrors.

"Hiccup, could you possibly do anything about this?" Cyne asked as he held out his arms showing two Terrors who were happily clinging to him. "I do not know how to get them off."

"How did they get on in the first place?" Hiccup asked as he dunked the piece of metal he had been working on in a bucket of water before approaching the man.

"I was sitting under the apple tree and these guys just approached so I decided to feed them some of the apples laying around." Cyne explained.

Hiccup chuckled at that. "That pretty much explains it." He said as he watched the Terrors happily dozing on the man. "They took a liking to you. I'm sure they will let go soon."

"I just do not want to hurt them." Cyne mumbled but Hiccup still heard him.

"Why would you even think that you would hurt them? They would not have approached you if they thought you a threat."

"Well... it's... it's" Cyne began as he looked a little hesitant.

"Cyne it's alright if you don't want to tell me." Hiccup said as he saw the big knight become nervous.

"It is something you might need to know." Cyne said as he nervously cradled one of the Terrors which slipped from his shoulder. "It started before I joined her Majesty's knights. I was a street fighter at the time and was only worried about getting stronger and stronger." Cyne had a sad look marring his face as he remembered.

"There was a girl I liked and I went to court her but trouble got in the way. Some of the men that I had beaten decided that they wanted revenge and attacked me as I was walking with her. I had gotten her to hide as I dealt with them but I was so caught up with fighting that I did not notice when it was over." Cyne muttered wearily. "She approached me and touched my shoulder and I....... and I....... hit her...... hard. She broke her arm and did not want to come near a brute like me afterwards." He now silently cried. "What good would strength be? I thought, if I ended up hurting those that I care about."

Tears streaked down Cyne's face. Hiccup put a comforting hand on the man while Toothless, who had woken up, silently nudged the man. Even the Terrors had stopped dozing and were warbling as if in assurance.

"Cyne......" Hiccup said finally. "I know it's hard but everyone can get caught up in the heat of the moment. You clearly did not want to hurt her."

"Yo-" Hiccup started to say but he was caught off guard by screams coming from the people outside. Hiccup, Toothless, and Cyne rushed out of the forge to see the shield around the kingdom active. The green magic circle glowed brightly as ominous red clouds swept above it.

"What the-" Cyne muttered as lightning flashed.

Hiccup looked at the sky and then back at the crowd which had grown fearful as chaos erupted. He spotted some knights trying to get the people to calm down but the citizens continued to panic.

Hiccup noticed one of the small children who came to play with Toothless on the ground as she tried to cover her head as to not get trampled. He quickly reached the girl and pulled her in his arms. "Mr. Hiccup!" She shouted happily and proceeded to hug him.

"Hiccup you need to get these people under control." Cyne said as more ominous clouds started gathering.

"M...Me?!!" Hiccup asked surprised.

"Yes you!" Cyne stated. "You are her Highness' fiancé. She announced it to the city and word has already spread far. The people would listen to you in her absence."

Hiccup took a deep breath before he looked to Toothless. "Light up the sky bud." Hiccup said and Toothless shot three successive purple blasts into the air. The blasts ignited under the shield but it did what Hiccup wanted. It got the crowd's attention.

Several knights approached and they recognized Hiccup immediately. "Sir, orders." The captain spoke quickly.

Hiccup took another breath as now all eyes were on him. "I know that what is happening is frightening." Hiccup said as he addressed the crowd and pointed to the sky. "But I need you all to stay calm. So far nothing has happened. Take your families and head home immediately. The knights will make sure that you are all save."

Hiccup did not think that it would work but he was surprised when the people started obeying. There was a lot less chaos now and the citizens followed the knights' orders.

"You did it Mr. Hiccup!" The little girl babbled happily.

"Let us go find your family." Hiccup said as they made their way through the streets.

"I told you that they would listen." Cyne said as he walked beside Hiccup. The Terrors what had perched on him were now gliding above them.

"It is still very shocking." Hiccup mumbled. "I am not exactly used to giving out orders. All my life I was made to believe that I was useless."

"You seemed like a natural." Cyne commented as the girl pointed to her house. "The people will obey you because they have seen that, over the last few months, you made her Highness very happy and you would not take advantage of the power she wields." Cyne then chuckled as Hiccup knocked on the door. "Was it not you who dragged her Highness out to a tavern to drink last month."

Hiccup blushed as he remembered that night. The door was opened and Hiccup handed the little girl to her relieved mother.

When they left to return to the castle Hiccup turned to Cyne. "I dragged her out yes." Hiccup said as his blush intensified. "But she dragged me back to the castle, or more accurately, she floated me back to the castle after I lost the drinking competition we held."

Cyne could not help it. Even with the ominous red clouds above he had to let out a loud laugh. "So the rumors were true! Her Highness drank you under the table!"