Chapter 29

Astrid had decided to hold a banquet in Hiccup's honor on the third day. She would be leaving with Eret and the rest of her knights afterwards to the Eastern area. The guards Hiccup had chosen were also invited and were mingling with the crowd.

Ellyn saw Drago standing near the Queen and Hiccup. She grabbed a tray of four goblets of wine and quickly, without being seen, emptied the vial into one of the goblets. Drago had been keeping an eye on Ellyn and had to hide a smirk when he saw her poison one of the drinks.

Ellyn made her way over and overheard, upon getting nearer, Hiccup saying to her Highness "Astrid you really did not have to go through all this trouble."

"It is no trouble at all Hiccup. Consider this a welcome-to-the-kingdom party. I could also introduce you to my entire court as my prospective husband." The Queen teased.

Ellyn saw Hiccup's cheeks redden before she accidentally bumped into someone, sending her partially spinning and staggering backwards nearly spilling the drinks. She quickly managed to grab the goblets before they spilled but she was now looking at them in confusion. 'Which one had the poison again?' She asked herself when Astrid noticed her heading their way and called her over.

"Ellyn what are you doing carrying a tray? You should be enjoying the party." Astrid asked as she noticed the goblets.

"Well your Highness. I had just thought that this occasion called for a toast." Ellyn explained.

"That's a splendid idea." Astrid said and then called Drago, who still stood nearby, over.

Drago not wanting to act suspicious approached the trio. He saw Astrid and Hiccup grab a goblet of wine before Astrid indicated that she wanted Drago to take one as well.

Drago discreetly looked at Ellyn to see if she still knew which goblet had the poison. Ellyn bit her lower lip which made Drago a bit nervous. Astrid had then taken one of the two remaining goblets and handed it to Drago with a smile while Ellyn grabbed the last.

"May I have your attention please!" Astrid said causing the guests to stop what they were doing and look at their Queen. "I would like to propose a toast. To Hiccup, I welcome you to this realm. You are a wonderful friend. To your health!" Astrid said as she raised her goblet. The rest of the hall followed and Hiccup was blushing quite a lot now.

Drago raised his goblet but he looked nervously as Astrid and Hiccup took a sip from their wine. Both seemed fine and Drago shot Ellyn a glare.

Ellyn raised a brow challenging Drago to drink his wine as she took a swig from her goblet. She looked fine and Drago looked down nervously at the dark red liquid in his hand.

"Drago why do you not drink?" Astrid suddenly asked, startling him.

"I... I..eh cannot hold my liquor all that well your Highness." Drago tried to explain to which the Queen scoffed. "This is a party Drago. I certainly will not hold it against you if you get a little drunk."

Drago was sweating profusely out of nervousness now and he hesitantly took a sip of the liquid praying to whatever gods above that he would survive. Drago nervously swallowed the wine and waited. When he wasn't dead yet he looked at the goblet in confusion.

'Did this goblet not have poison? Did the poison become diluted in the wine?' Were some of the thoughts running through his head.

"So Advisor Drago" Ellyn spoke up suddenly. "Why did you actually hesitate to drink the wine?" Ellyn asked casually.

"Because I did not want to die from my own poison." Drago suddenly said. His mouth was moving on its own. When Drago heard what he said he quickly clamped his hands over his mouth but the deed was already done. The hall became silent as Drago's goblet fell to the floor with a clatter.

Drago looked around, his hands still covering his mouth. It was then that he saw the smug looks on Ellyn's and Hiccup's faces. He looked in the Queen's direction and saw ice cold fury directed at him. Magic crackled around Astrid and started to fill the room.

"It...It's not what it seems like." Drago sputtered as he tried to defend himself.

"Tell me Drago" Astrid commanded "Why do you want Hiccup gone?"

"Because I've seen the way you two gaze at each other and know that he would be a thorn in my side when I seized the throne." Drago spoke automatically. His eyes widened when he realized what had happened.

"When did you cast a truth spell over me?!" Drago demanded to know as he noticed Byzu inching closer from behind.

"Is it really not that obvious." Astrid muttered. "You will be spending a lot of time in the dungeons to think it over."

"Is that why you played a part in the ambush near Castow?" Hiccup suddenly asked surprising Astrid.

Drago, still under the spell. answered immediately. "Yes, I had hoped that the Queen would have died and that the spell to revive the great teacher would be ours."

Astrid's eyes widened and she let her magic lash out. Drago was flung back against the hard wall.

"Wait Astrid" Hiccup said as he saw that Astrid was ready to seriously hurt Drago. "He said ours. There are more people involved."

"With who are you wor-" Hiccup started to ask but was caught off as Byzu and several other knights charged at Astrid and Hiccup while shoving the other guests aside.

Ellyn, Cyne and Ryany had their weapons out and managed to parry some of the knights. Some managed to break free and continue their charge only to be stopped by the entrance of Eret and his men.

Chaos reigned in the room and Drago took his chance. He saw that Hiccup was distracted by two enemies who had tried to blindside him while the Queen was making a save path for the guests to escape. He slipped a small dagger from his wrist into his hand and snuck up behind Astrid stabbing her twice in the side.

"Astrid!" Hiccup and Eret shouted in worry as they saw her clutch her side as blood soaked her gown.

"We got what we wanted!" Drago suddenly yelled and the knights attacking them began retreating.

Hiccup had made it to Astrid's side and placed his hands over the wounds as he tried to stop the bleeding.

"Take care of her!" Eret shouted, giving his longtime friend a worried look, as he and the rest of his men began perusing the traitors.

"Astrid! Astrid! Hang on!" Hiccup said frantically as he laid her down.

Astrid groaned at the pain in her side. She faintly felt strong arms holding onto her tightly before she completely slipped unconscious.