Chapter 41

Astrid sat on her throne grumbling in annoyance. Fishlegs and the others had not been able to provide her with any information on the red clouds which still floated above them two weeks later.

The city had been slowly getting back to normal. People still feared the clouds but they could not stay holed up in their houses. It looked like the shield had managed to keep any ill effects of the clouds from affecting Forline but Astrid still worried about the reports she had been receiving from the other kingdoms.

News reached Astrid that Sielihah had taken the throne of Thellone and now demanded that the other kingdoms surrender to her. The kingdoms of Gothrasea and Iliest had already surrendered on the third day. Tales were told that the soldiers of those kingdoms stopped in the middle of their charge before turning on their kings and mindlessly slaughtering anyone else who resisted.

"Astrid you look worried." Hiccup said as he entered the room via a side door.

"Why should I not be." Astrid sighed. "It seems Sielihah is gaining power and all we are doing is sitting here behind a shield."

"I'm sure we will figure out something. She can't be invincible."

"It certainly looks like she is with the power she is wielding right now. I'm certain that these clouds have something to do with the disease spreading so rapidly. I however cannot figure out how she got two kingdoms to surrender in one day."

There was a knock before a knight entered and bowed to the Queen. "Your Highness. Three ships anchored at the western harbor town this morning. The leader of these men has requested an audience with you. He says that it is rather urgent and pertains to the sickness. We brought them on dragonback just now."

"Let them in." Astrid commanded.

The knight gave a bow before he ushered their visitors inside.

"Alvin?" Hiccup said as he recognized the burly man. "and Camilla and Melissa?" The sisters who they had met in Iliest followed behind Alvin but they looked solemn.

"Hiccup, your Highness, so glad to see both of you are well." Alvin greeted as the twin sisters did the same.

"What brings you here?" Astrid queried.

"It is grave news." Alvin muttered. "Euras and Gelade have fallen as well. These twins saw everything. They convinced me to let them on my ship so that they could tell you themselves."

"Yes we saw what happened." Camilla states. " It was a bloodbath. So many were sick and the soldiers slaughtered those who tried to escape."

"The nobles have abandoned their people." Melissa angrily said. "They boarded ships heading towards the Viking isles and left the helpless citizens at the mercy of a demon."

"Wait! Why would they even go to Viking territory? Those on the mainland never had a good relationship with the Vikings." Hiccup asked as he did remember his father complaining about pretentious nobles.

"Desperation lad." Alvin muttered. "The sea winds are strong and the red clouds have not reached Viking territory yet. That is why me crew and I stayed on the water. Less chance of getting infected. Rumors are already spreading through Alaris that Forline has remained untouched."

"We saw Sielihah on the battlefield. She waved her hand and the soldiers opposing her collapsed. Then they stood up and their eyes glowed red." Melissa explained.

"It looked like they had been possessed!" Camilla nearly shrieked. "Never before have we seen such mindless brutality!"

"I don't know a lot about magic Astrid but it sounds to me like she is controlling their minds somehow." Hiccup commented.

"Mind control on such a scale would require-" Astrid stopped as she came to the realization.

"Hiccup you're a genius!!!" Astrid shouted before she flung herself at Hiccup and grabbed him in a bone crushing hug.

"Astrid....egh....Astrid." Hiccup wheezed as he staggered back a step. "What exactly did I do?"

"You just helped me figure out how she is doing it!"

"I....did?!"

"He did?" Alvin and the two women questioned as well.

"Yes. The clouds are red because she is using it as a medium. Remember when I used water to heal you?" Astrid said to which Hiccup nodded. "Water is an excellent medium and clouds are just full of it."

"So she is using the clouds to spread the plague?" Hiccup asked.

"Yes and she is also using it to control people." Astrid explained. "She has basically combined two spells into one. The weak succumb to the plague while the strong come under her command."

Astrid towards Alvin and the women. "Thank you." She said. "You and your men shall find safe haven in this realm."

"Do not worry your Highness. My men and I won't cause you any trouble." Alvin said. "Come on ladies. Let's tell the boys the good news!"

All three bowed before exiting the throne room.

"Can you even combine two spells into one?" Hiccup asked as they were left alone once more.

"You know. I have never actually tried that. Let's go!!" She said before grabbing Hiccup by the wrist and pulling him towards the exit.

"You are going to try it now?!" Hiccup asked as he noticed he was being dragged in the direction of the training area.

"No time like the present." Astrid stated.

When they reached the area Hiccup noticed that there were not many knights present at this time on the training field. Those who were briefly looked at the duo curiously before going back to practice.

Astrid found a nice open area and started gathering magic. "Let's see. What spells should I try to combine." Astrid muttered to herself before a smirk graced her face.

Hiccup upon seeing the smirk took a step back. Astrid said a spell and a miniature tornado formed. Hiccup watched astonished as Astrid conjured a flame in her other hand and threw it at the tornado. It looked like the combination would work but the spells did not combine successfully.

Astrid tried again and this time her combination resulted in a rack of weapons being thrown in the air.

Hiccup scrambled backwards as he avoided the spear that had sailed towards him.

"Astrid!" Hiccup sputtered as he shakily got up. "Maybe you should try it with less destructive spells first."

"Maybe I should." Astrid said as she eyed the weapons littered over the ground. "It is just weird that they will not combine."

"I'm sure you will get it." Hiccup assured her as they started picking up the weapons.

"You Highness!" Hiccup and Astrid heard shouted as they saw a maid running towards them. "Are you alright?" The maid asked as she came to stand before them.

"Yes do not worry." Astrid assured.

"Yes your Highness." The maid said as she curtseyed. "However...... that is really too bad."

Hiccup's head whipped in the direction of the maid as he heard what she said. Astrid was much slower but they both saw the maid pull out a purple stone.

"Farewell your Highness." The maid spat and raised the stone in the air and threw it at Astrid. Hiccup however had managed to reach Astrid first and knock her out of the way. The stone hit him and activated. Purple lightning shocked Hiccup before he and the stone disappeared in a flash of brilliant light.

"Hiccup!!" Astrid yelled frantically as she turned her attention to the intruder and unleashed her magic in all her fury.