Chapter 34

Nearly four months had now passed since Sielihah's return and the craze surrounding her was still immense. The kingdoms, with the exception of Forline, stood united for once. Sielihah traveled through the various kingdoms with an entourage. Large masses would gather everywhere she went and she used her magic freely to heal the people. A month ago a strange illness began appearing in some remote villages, it caused red splotches to appear on the skin and the person who had it would get a fever which left them bedridden until they died five days later.

The villagers were getting desperate as the clerics could not heal the sickness. Many were dying and they called for their savior. Their savior came to their aid and the villagers were healed but not before many had perished.

This sickness, which the people called the red plague, had been spreading through the various kingdoms at an alarming rate the past few months. Sielihah was currently traveling through Marine and had stopped to spend the night in one of the King's estates which he gladly opened up to her. She was looking over a map to decide where to travel next.

"We have not been here yet." She said, pointing towards Forline, to several noblemen and clerics who accompanied her.

"I do not think we will be welcome there." One of the men spoke up. "It is ruled by a Queen who is a dark practitioner."

"The masses would surely wish to meet me. The Queen would not deny her people that, even if she does not follow the doctrine." Sielihah reasoned.

"Your Grace." One of the noblemen said. "We know for a fact that the Queen came to your revival ceremony and was against us bringing you back."

This had gotten Sielihah's interest "Please tell me more about this Queen." She asked.

The men looked at each a bit hesitantly before they began to tell her what they knew. When they had finished they could see Sielihah smile. "I wish to meet this Queen." Was all she said.

Meanwhile the realm of Forline was quiet. The red plague had not reached their borders and the people were relieved. The dragons had indeed migrated into the realm. At first the people were apprehensive of that many dragons so close to them but during the past four months they had come to accept their presence as a part of everyday life.

Hiccup had a lot to do with that as he designed feeding stations, stables, and other necessities for the dragons to live alongside humans comfortably.

On one such day we find Hiccup sitting in his chambers going over a letter he had received from Dagur via messenger hawk. The contents of the letter were a little unsettling. Dagur and his sister had recently visited Berk to renew their trade agreement when they heard that Hiccup's brother Geir had been made Chief of the tribe. His father stepped down as Chief because of health reasons and his mother was not faring any better.

Dagur also wrote that he almost did not sign the trade agreement because he did not like how Geir represented himself and his family. It would seem that the Hooligan tribe had seen better times. Geir had developed a large ego and acted like everyone should wait on him hand and foot. Froda was also acting very haughty and did nothing to deter her husband's behavior.

Hiccup was at least pleased to hear that he had a four year old nephew who acted nothing like his parents. Dagur wrote that he seemed to be as scrawny as Hiccup was and had taken a liking to Gobber.

Hiccup lifted an eyebrow when Dagur told him that he only signed the agreement because the little boy approached him and apologized for his parents' behavior.

There was a knock on his chamber door which then was opened a crack to reveal Ryany.

"Everything is ready Hiccup." Ryany said as Hiccup put the letter aside and grabbed a beautifully carved box from the table. Hiccup took a deep breath and opened the box one last time to reveal a gleaming black ring with a sapphire inlaid. The ring was made from Toothless' scales, which Hiccup had been experimenting with ever since he accidentally melted some when Toothless had been shedding and some scales flew into the fire.

"Relax Hiccup. Her Highness would be a fool not to accept." Ryany assured. "And she definitely is no fool."

Meanwhile Astrid's day had been full of meetings. She raised an eyebrow when one of her guards announced that a messenger had arrived bearing a message from the Great Sielihah.

The messenger approached the throne and gave the Queen a short bow before he opened the scroll and began reading the contents.

"You are hereby requested to present yourself to her Grace, Sielihah, who wishes to meet with you, your Highness, at the plains of Gusa within the next three days."

Astrid raised another eyebrow when she heard the location. The plains of Gusa lay near Forline's border. "Tell your mistress that she may wait all she wants on the plains for I shall have to decline."

"Y..You w...would decline a summons from the great Sielihah!" The messenger sputtered.

Astrid did not look bothered at all. She stood up and let her magic fill the room as she looked at the messenger with cold eyes. "I am requested to present myself!!" Astrid said as anger filled her voice. "Do you think me a lapdog? Do you think that someone can order me around?! Go back to your mistress and tell her that my realm will never welcome her presence!"

The messenger fearing for his live scampered out of the throne room. "Eret, increase the security along our border. I want to know this woman's movements."

"Of course" Eret smirked as looked to where the messenger stood.

"What is so funny?" Astrid asked.

"I was just thinking of your speech just now." Eret commented. "You know rumors about you and Hiccup had increased the last few months. They can sometimes even be heard outside of Forline."

"And what do these rumors say?"

"Some are wondering who this mystery man of yours truly is. I've heard some whisper that he is a noble, others say that he is a peasant. Other rumors tell that you would flatten kingdoms if your mystery man would simply ask." Eret chuckled at the idea. "There are also bets going around if or when you two will wed."

Astrid could not help but snort as Eret continued to explain some of the rumors that he heard. They made their way towards Astrid's chambers where she retrieved a small box. She opened it and inside lay a glimmering green ring. The ring was made from Stormfly's blue and yellow spikes. Astrid had seen Stormfly use her fire to melt some of the discarded spikes and got an idea when she noticed the blue and yellow colors mixing. She had secretly asked another blacksmith to see if the material could be used to make a ring. The blacksmith had given the Queen a knowing look before taking some of her dragon's spikes.

"You think he'll like it?" Astrid asked to which Eret looked affronted.

"Astrid, he loves you. We can all see that." Eret stated as he walked with Astrid towards the gardens. Hiccup and her were having their meal in the garden today and Eret could not help but smile. Eret spotted Hiccup not too far away from the gazebo and smirked. "Now your Highness. Go get your man."