Chapter 11

The wind was blowing in Hiccup's face as he clutched Astrid closer to him. The dragon looked down once to give Hiccup a gummy smile before speeding up.

"You're enjoying this aren't you!" Hiccup shouted only to get a dragonic laugh in return. "Crazy reptile." Hiccup muttered as he watched the ground below him pass at a blinding speed. Soon the dragon arced in the sky and Hiccup could see a large lake which got closer as the dragon descended.

Hiccup was deposited near the lake shore and he gripped Astrid a little tighter as he got his bearings. The dragon landed not far from him and looked from him to the lake and was waiting with his tongue hanging out.

Hiccup placed Astrid on some soft grass before taking a slim tree branch and fashioning a spear from it with his dagger. The dragon took its place next to Astrid and motioned to the lake as if saying 'fish, I'll watch her'.

Hiccup merely lifted an eyebrow but went to catch the fish he had promised. It took a lot longer with the spear than Hiccup was used too and he honestly wished that he still had his fishing net with him.

Hiccup saw the dragon lay curled near Astrid when he returned. He then held up his catch for the dragon who opened its maw revealing only gums. "Toothless, how are you going to eat-" Hiccup asked more to himself when teeth suddenly revealed themselves in the dragon's maw.

"Well that answers that." Hiccup said as he watched the dragon greedily swallow the pile of fishes. The dragon started sniffing Hiccup after it had finished its meal.

"I don't have anymore." Hiccup said backing away slightly until his back hit a boulder.

The dragon then regurgitated a piece of fish onto Hiccup's lap and was watching expectantly while sitting on its haunches. Hiccup looked between the dragon and the fish and realization hit.

"You want me to eat that?"

The dragon warbled in what Hiccup could only guess was affirmation. Taking a deep breath Hiccup bit into the fish and nearly gagged. Looking back at the dragon he saw him make a swallowing motion. 'AAhhg' when through Hiccup's mind as he swallowed. The dragon then seemed satisfied and laid back down.

Hiccup went back to the lake to catch some more fish for his and Astrid's meal, if she woke up, and to wash his mouth. Hiccup came back with some fish and firewood and the dragon happily lit the small campfire as it was eyeing the fish.

"You'll get more tomorrow." Hiccup told the dragon who began sulking. Astrid slept through the night and the next, peacefully unaware of what was happening around her as Hiccup had set up a small camp near the lake and had begun to call the dragon Toothless.

Toothless for his part acted more like a hyperactive cat than a dragon, and he loved to pounce on Hiccup once they had gotten friendlier.

Astrid woke up on the third day to the sight of Hiccup being thrown into the water by the black dragon. Hiccup waded out of the water and noticed Astrid sitting up.

"You are finally awake." Hiccup said as he approached her while still completely drenched. Toothless had followed behind and was watching the pair curiously.

"Yes, how long was I unconscious?" Astrid asked as her stomach gave a loud rumble. She looked at Hiccup a bit embarrassed and then took in her surroundings.

"Three days. I was getting worried." Hiccup said as he tried to wring the water out of his clothes. "Don't worry about this. Toothless does this at least twice a day."

"Toothless?" Astrid asked and Hiccup pointed to the dragon, who if Astrid did not know better was looking smug.

"Why Toothless?" She asked as she got on shaky feet.

Toothless opened his maw and showed her his retractable teeth. Astrid looked back at Hiccup who shrugged. "The name caught on."

Hiccup proceeded to bring his catch to the fire as Astrid sat back down. Toothless was already happily munching on his pile of fish.

"I honestly have no idea why he stays around." Hiccup said while motioning to Toothless.

"Night Furies have a good ability to judge character." Astrid explained.

"Or maybe he just likes that I feed him." Hiccup said as Toothless finished his meal and was now contently taking a nap.

"Or that." Astrid agreed as she watched the dragon.

Hiccup handed Astrid a fish when it looked done and while munching on his he looked to Astrid and said "The sisters wished to thank you and to tell you that they won't squander what you gave them, but I'm assuming you already know that."

Astrid nodded. "They were not actually bad, circumstances forced them into doing what they did. They took us in and that night they were sincere. " Astrid explained and then she looked at Hiccup with a critical eye.

"What I do not understand is how you were not affected by their perception field." Astrid stated. "My magic shielded me partially, hence the headaches but you would have been vulnerable. The magic I sensed from that field used a person's love as a way to manipulate them."

"Astrid..." Hiccup said putting his fish down and looking at her.

"Hiccup, the only way that you would have been unaffected was if you did not believe in love anymore."

Hiccup gave Astrid a sad look which caused Astrid to gasp. "You honestly don't believe in love anymore!"

"What about you?" Hiccup countered. "You said you were partially shielded."

Astrid let out a breath. "You are right. I do not necessarily believe in love anymore." She admitted.

The food had long since been forgotten as Hiccup stared aimlessly into the distance. "We make a pretty sad pair don't we." Hiccup mumbled with a forced chuckle.

Astrid nodded.

"You might as well know my story." Hiccup said as he stared into the flames.