Chapter 16

Hiccup groaned as every bit of his body hurt. The knights had managed to corner him and they weren't very friendly. Hiccup felt dazed and slipped in and out of consciousness but he did feel that he was being dragged somewhere.

He heard the scrape and creaking of heavy metal doors before he was dragged into a structure. Hiccup opened his eyes slightly when he did not feel the scorch of the sun anymore. He surmised that the knights had taken him to the prison if the various cells filled with people was anything to go by. Those holding him then unceremoniously dumped him at the feet of a heavily armored knight who proceeded to haul him up by his tunic.

"The boys tell me that you are associated with the Dark Queen." The large man spat at Hiccup. "You will tell me her whereabouts."

"I don't know any Dark Queen." Hiccup stated quietly, and he was telling the truth. In his mind Astrid did not behave like a tyrant, demon, or murderer like the rumors told. The man holding him up however did not look pleased and threw him against the stone wall.

Hiccup grunted from the impact and he was grabbed once more before he could even get his bearings. Those imprisoned in their cells were watching either curiously or yelling something at the armored man.

"Silence!" The man shouted and all the prisoners became quiet and shrank back a bit. The man turned back to Hiccup and threw him to the floor before kicking him in the abdomen.

'Oof' Hiccup groaned as he clutched his middle.

"Where is the Dark Queen?!" The man asked again, his voice echoing through the prison, as he continued to kick Hiccup. The beating did not let up until Hiccup shakily held up a hand.

"Alright alright I'll tell you." Hiccup wheezed out before two guards from the side came and hauled him up so that he was kneeling in front of the man.

"S....She is in Non." Hiccup managed to get out.

"Non?" The giant guard growled. "What is that?"

"N...... None of your business." Hiccup managed to get out and he saw the man turn puce.

"Send him to the cells!" The man shouted, now enraged. "Our hospitality should loosen his tongue!"

The guards chuckled as they proceeded to drag Hiccup to one of the large dark cells in the back. Hiccup was shoved inside and he heard the door close behind followed by the laughter of the guards as they departed. Looking around Hiccup noticed that he was in a large cell which was filled with people, dressed in rags, huddled together near the walls.

Hiccup tried to sit up a little but he let out a groan when pain coursed through him. "Lie back down." A voice said from one end of the cell and Hiccup saw a brawny man with tattoos on his chin approach.

"Who are you?" Hiccup wheezed out as the man got nearer and Hiccup got a better look. The man's clothing was ragged and he was covered in grime.

The man began to check Hiccup over and grumbled when he noticed the bruises forming. "You might have broken something." He mumbled as Hiccup hissed from the pain.

"Do you really know where the Queen is?" The man bend down and whispered, hopefully, in Hiccup's ear.

Hiccup frowned from where he lay as he looked at the man. "I may or I may not." Hiccup managed to get out. "I don't even know who you are and if I could trust you."

"Oh right where are my manners. I'm Sir Eret, son of Eret." He introduced.

"I'm Hiccup, and telling me your name would not make me trust you that easily. For all I know you could be reporting to that grumpy guard."

Eret and some other men in the cell actually began laughing at Hiccup's statement. "Not many would insult the warden after a beating like that. You certainly are a sassy guy."

Eret then got a serious look in his eyes. "But in all honesty. My men and I are worried for the Queen. We are her personal bodyguards."

Hiccup painfully sat up and peered around. He could see some of the men Eret gestured to in the cell and the cell opposite to him.

"Wait, how do we even know if he knows her majesty's whereabouts?" One of the prisoners asked. "What would the Queen even be doing in this region."

"Saving your behinds." Hiccup muttered loud enough for the men to hear him as he shakily tried to sit up. "She wanted to free her knights before heading back to Forline."

Eret then started ranting. "Of all the irresponsible things! She should have just escaped!"

"Saving you would actually be the smart thing to do." Hiccup countered.

"And why would you say that?! Her majesty could be in danger right now!" Eret muttered.

"Even if she made it back to her realm you all were still being kept prisoner and could have been used as ransom. Besides she was fine when I threw her into the river." Hiccup said casually which caused some of the men to suck in their breaths.

"You did what!" Eret yelled as he grabbed hold of Hiccup's shoulders.

"In my defense, we were being chased by a mob of angry knights with sharp pointy weapons." Hiccup wheezed out as pain shot through him from being jostled.

Eret rubbed the bridge of his nose and sighed. "Well at least that isn't so bad. Her Highness will only be a little irritated." Eret looked back at Hiccup and saw that he wore a sheepish expression. "What?"

"Eh...." Hiccup said nervously. "Well.... The river might have been below a cliff."

Eret nearly went bug-eyed at Hiccup's confession. "W..Wha..What!" He sputtered.

Before Hiccup could say anything else the prison started shaking.

"This can't be good." One of Eret's men muttered.

Then suddenly there was a whistling sound followed by a big explosion and everyone ducked as debris fell from the ceiling.

The guards started to rush outside but got no further than the iron doors before they were blown back by an immense force.

When the dust, that had been kicked up, settled everyone could see a sopping wet woman, with green strands of magic crackling around her, standing where the giant iron doors once were. Behind her stood a black dragon who looked ready to pounce but the glare from the woman looked the most frightening.

"HICCUP HORRENDOUS HADDOCK THE 3RD!!" She shouted. Her voice was echoing through the prison. "HOW DARE YOU KISS ME AND THEN THROW ME OFF A CLIFF!!"