Chapter 21

The night dragged on and once Astrid and the others had restrained the trappers, who had begun to wake up, they set about freeing the dragons. Many of the dragons happily took to the sky again but some remained watching the group in curiosity.

Hiccup looked to the dragons remaining and got an idea, but before he could voice it he heard Dagur shout "Hey, that's the skrill." As he made his way towards the dragon.

"Wai-" Astrid started to say as she knew that that particular species was very temperamental, but the skrill was already electrocuting Dagur. "Nevermind" She said as she watched the orange haired man faint. The skrill let out a huff before taking to the sky.

Heather approached her brother with a look of exasperation and then she noticed that a green Gronckle had also made its way over and was nudging Dagur.

"Looks like that one likes you." Heather remarked as her brother came to with a groan only to receive a slobbery lick from the Gronckle.

Eret looked over to Hiccup and then tapped Astrid on her shoulder to get her attention. Astrid turned when Eret pointed in Hiccup's direction. She saw him watching the eager Gronckle sit on Dagur as a smirk formed on his lips.

"I don't like that smirk." Astrid mumbled but approached Hiccup anyway. "So what is on your mind?"

"What if I told you that there is a faster way to reach Gimor?" Hiccup said nonchalantly.

"What do you suggest?"

Hiccup pointed towards the dragons and then said "Dragons are a lot faster than horses."

Astrid looked to Hiccup "You are seriously suggesting that we ride on the backs of dragons are you."

"Why not?" Hiccup asked. "Toothless allowed it." Said dragon gave a warble of affirmation.

Astrid could not argue with that and soon her knights were hesitantly approaching the dragons. Dagur had finally gotten out from under the Gronckle and Astrid noticed that Heather had approached a Razorwhip who was laying down alone near a tree. She herself had approached a blue and yellow Nadder who took an immediate liking towards her. Astrid could not help but laugh when a Zippleback started circling its heads around two of her knights.

They were soon ready to depart and Alvin was waving them off. Astrid had gifted the horses to him along with some supplies so that he could reach his clan's camp after having learned that the Grimborn brothers had sunk his ship.

Heather and her brother were heading back to Hysteria and waved goodbye as they started flying in the opposite direction.

The knights along with Astrid and Hiccup also started flying in the direction of Forline, some clutching their dragons a lot more.

"I'm seriously beginning to doubt this idea!" Eret shouted as he nearly swallowed a floating leaf.

"At this speed we'll reach the capital in a few hours." Hiccup stated as he noticed Astrid trying out a few loops in the sky.

"THIS IS AWESOME!!" Astrid shouted as her dragon, which she had named Stormfly, squawked in agreement. When Astrid flew back towards the group she noticed some dragons without riders following them. The others soon noticed it too.

Toothless gave a warble. "I guess they are curious or they really took a liking to us." Hiccup guessed and then he turned towards Astrid and Eret. "I do want to talk to you about something." Hiccup said. "It has to do with when you were ambushed."

"What do you want to know?" Eret asked looking very curious.

"You were in Briningion after being attacked by Thellonian knights. Were there more knights from different kingdoms involved with the ambush?"

Eret thought for a moment before he spoke up "I do remember seeing a crest that looked oddly like those the knights from Karnasea wear."

"Hiccup, are you actually suggesting that more than two kingdoms might have been involved?" Astrid queried.

"It is indeed a possibility." Hiccup stated. "Afterall, the road you were traveling home on has many ways to various destinations. It would make being ambushed nearly impossible unless it happened by chance or if they knew your route beforehand."

"So what you are saying is that there is a traitor among those who knew our route." Astrid stated as she almost did not want to believe it.

"Yes, or several knights from various kingdoms decided to attack you all at the exact same time by chance."

"No need to get sassy Hiccup." Astrid said as she rolled her eyes. "I'll make the traitor pay dearly once I find out who it is."

"How exactly are we going to find out our traitor's identity?" Eret asked as he watched the ground pass by in blinding speed.

"I might have an idea for that" Hiccup said.

"Do tell" Astrid stated as she got a wicked gleam in her eyes.

For the rest of the journey Eret, Astrid and Hiccup spend working on the plan. It was nearly midday when the sprawling towers of Astrid's castle in Gimor, the capital city of Forline, could be seen on the horizon.

"Let us land outside the city" Astrid suggested. "I do not want to frighten the citizens with a large number of dragons flying overhead."

They landed not far from the main gate and dismounted. The dragons would follow at their side if they wished to. The walls protecting the outer border of the city stood tall. Astrid and Hiccup, flanked by Eret and the other knights, dressed in their black armor, approached the gate guard, who upon spotting them stood at attention.

"Y...Your Highness!" The guard exclaimed. "We had heard you were dead!"

Astrid frowned upon hearing that. "Where have you heard that. My guards and I simply had a small detour before returning."

The guard, now looking nervous, explained "When you did not return after the assembly in Castow, your appointed regent sent out a scouting party. They returned with news of a battle upon the road and a steed bearing your crest was found dead not far. We feared for the worse and rumors of your demise circulated."

"Well as you can see. My guards and I are perfectly fine." Astrid commented. "Now we have had a long journey and would like to rest."

"O...Of course y..your Highness." The guard said and gave the signal to the watchtower upon the wall to open the heavy gates.

Astrid smiled when she saw the bustling market nearby and the citizens going about their business as magnificent stone buildings dotted the city. She then turned to Hiccup who was watching the crowds with interest "Welcome to Forline."