Chapter 44

AN: Stay tuned next weekend when RedLegoManiacRedHawkdude, and I will be publishing oneshots as part of our themed oneshot challenge between us.

Astrid thumped her head against the wooden table in the catacombs, her hair was in disarray from sleepless nights and dark cackles formed under her eyes. A few candles were all that illuminated the room where scrolls were strewn everywhere. Toothless sat not so far away from Astrid and let out a forlorn croon.

"Yes I know Toothless. I miss him too." Astrid mumbled as she picked up another scroll. The words were swimming in front of her vision and she put her head back down on the table. Three days had passed and even with the help of her scribes, and Fishlegs and his friends they were no closer to figuring out how to get Hiccup back.

Astrid let out a scream of frustration and did not even pay attention to the hurried footsteps that approached the room.

"Your Highness!!!" Eret shouted as he skidded to a halt.

"Eret for the last time. I don't need to sleep!!" Astrid muttered.

"That is not it." Eret said. "Hiccup is back!!"

"WHAT!!!" Astrid yelled while nearly falling out of the chair. "How?!"

"I don't know." Eret said and followed as Astrid and Toothless left the room in a hurry. "The knights reported that a portal suddenly opened up in the courtyard and Hiccup fell through. He seemed to be a little dazed but other than that alright. He is in the throne room waiting for you."

For the first time in three days Astrid let out a breath of relief. They hurried to the throne room to see Hiccup. At the first sight of him both Astrid and Toothless rushed him.

"AAAH" Hiccup screamed as he was simultaneously hugged by Astrid, who was shedding tears, while being pounced on by Toothless.

The trio fell to the ground in a heap. Toothless continued to happily nuzzle him while Astrid captured him in a passionate kiss.

Hiccup was completely out of breath by the time his fiancé and his dragon had calmed down.

"You have no idea how glad I am to have you back!" Astrid stated as she finally got off of Hiccup.

"Us too" the twins, Snotlout and Fishlegs chorused as they joined the others in the throne room.

"Let me tell you. Three days with a sleep deprived Astrid is not a good thing." Snotlout stated as he shuddered.

"Three days?" Hiccup asked. "I've been gone for three days?!"

"Yes Hiccup. We have been pouring over the old scrolls in the catacombs to try and find a way to return you to this realm." Astrid mentioned as she stifled a yawn.

"It felt more like a couple of hours to me." Hiccup said as he looked quite confused.

"It is the effect of the Timeless realm." Astrid explained. "They say that everyone would experience it differently. But I am curious. How did you find a way to return?"

"I... eh..... asked nicely and had to make a promise." Hiccup stated a bit nervously.

"What promise?" Fishlegs suddenly asked.

"We cannot send Sielihah back to the Timeless realm. That was the condition that the creatures gave me if I wanted to return. It seems she has been terrorizing them. I swear I will explain more later."

"Why am I not surprised." Astrid said. "Besides I have no intention of returning her to that realm."

"You don't?" Everyone asked in unison.

"No I don't." Astrid stated as she got a wicked gleam in her eyes. "I need to make her pay for what she has done to my Hiccup."

Astrid's statement caused a blush to appear on Hiccup's cheeks as he looked a bit embarrassed. But Astrid went on to say with determination "I plan to tear her limb from limb. There won't be enough left of her to send back to the Timeless realm."

Toothless let out a dark growl in confirmation. "See even Toothless agrees." Astrid said and then turned back to Hiccup. She stifled another yawn before saying "Honestly if I was not so tired I would have dragged your lanky behind to the nearest altar to marry you."

Hiccup's eyes widened at Astrid's words but she was hugging him again before he could say anything.

"Astrid?" Hiccup asked as he slowly brushed the stray blonde bangs out of her face only to see that she had fallen asleep against him.

He gently picked her up bridal style, as she snuggled contently into his chest.

"I'll put her in bed. I think we could all use a rest." Hiccup said as he started to walk carefully. The knights scooted out of the way as Hiccup passed. Toothless followed eagerly and Eret was not far behind.

He opened the door to Astrid's chambers as Hiccup gently lay his fiancé on the bed.

Hiccup lay a hand on Astrid's cheek before he covered her with a blanket. "I'm sorry to have worried you milady." He whispered as Astrid snuggled into the pillows.

"Eret I have a favor to ask." Hiccup said as he turned to the man.

"Just name it Hiccup."