Chapter 18

AN: So I finally finished this story on my computer and remember what I promised! Daily updates from now on! 

 Hooves thundered down the road as Fishlegs and the twins retreated from the little village.

"Are we far enough away yet!!" Tuffnut shouted as their horses ran at top speed.

"I say we just head right back to Thellone!" Fishlegs suggested.

"What about Snotlout?!" Tuffnut inquired and Fishlegs looked down at the lime green frog that he was almost squishing. Fishlegs then turned to Ruffnut to ask "Can you change him back?"

Ruffnut scrunched her eyebrows in concentration. "I could try but I can't guarantee anything." She muttered. "Let's find a spot to camp for the night.

The party rode onwards until they came upon a small clearing near the road. Tuffnut and Fishlegs began setting up camp as Ruffnut checked the spellbook she had brought with her.

Ruffnut growled and threw the book on the ground. "This is so frustrating!" She shouted and then pointed a finger at the frog who was sitting on a rock. "THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!"

"Ribbit" was all the frog croaked before snatching a nearby fly out of the air.

"Eeeuw" Ruffnut said and gagged.

"What is the matter?" Fishlegs asked, picking up the spellbook, as he and Tuffnut approached.

"I can't find a counter for.... THIS" Ruffnut said and gestured towards the frog. "The book only talks about transfiguring inanimate objects. There is nothing in there about transfiguring living beings."

"Oh yes there is sister dear. Father wrote it in a footnote." Tuffnut, who had snatched the book from Fishlegs, said and indicated to a hastily scrawled part.

Ruffnut grabbed the book back and squinted. "Curse father and his tiny writing." She grumbled and then read the passage. "Animate objects could stay in the transfigured form depending on how powerful the spell was."

"I'd say that spell was pretty powerful." Fishlegs stated as Ruffnut shot him a glare before continuing to read.

"If the animate object is a person then one can simply wait for the spell to run its course or a kiss from a beautiful maiden could undo the spell."

"Well then how many years do you think we'll have to wait for Snotlout to turn back into a human?" Tuffnut asked.

"Wait, why can't Ruffnut just give him a kiss?" Fishlegs asked perplexed.

"Because the book said 'beautiful maiden'. All we have is......... my sister." Tuffnut stated which caused Ruffnut to knee him in the groin.

"I'm hurt. I'm very much hurt." Tuffnut groaned out as he fell to the ground.

"First of all" Ruffnut said while pointing at her brother. "How dare you say that I'm not a beautiful maiden!" She then turned towards Fishlegs who took a step back. "Second, why would I even think about kissing that!" She said gesturing once again to the frog.

"Ribbit!!"

"This is frankly an improvement!" Ruffnut ranted.

"Come on Ruffnut please!" Fishlegs begged.

"It won't work." Ruffnut stated but her resolution began to crumble when Fishlegs brought out the kitty-cat eyes.

"Fishlegs that is low." Tuffnut said as he finally managed to stand up. "I like it."

Ruffnut groaned but she had a soft spot for the kitty-cat eyes. "Fine, but you'll be my test subject for a month if I do this." She muttered.

Fishlegs blanched "Maybe we should just wait for the spell to run its course."

"Too late." Ruffnut said before grabbing the frog.

"Ribbit"

She looked at it and gagged. "I'm going to need to wash my mouth with grass later" She whispered to herself before planting a kiss on the slimy frog.

There was a flash of light and Ruffnut groaned before kicking the now newly transformed Snotlout off of her.

"Ribbit" Snotlout said before he noticed that he was human again.

"Oh thank you Ruffnut!" Snotlout exclaimed before hugging the reluctant blond and planting a kiss on her lips. Ruffnut pushed Snotlout away looking completely red in the face before making a gagging motion.

Fishlegs then decided to speak up. "Snotlout, we are going home." He said with resolution.

"What? But-" Snotlout started to say before Fishlegs held up a hand. "We are hopelessly outclassed, and the next time the Queen sees you she'll probably make sure that the spell is permanent."

"Let's face it Snotlout. This quest is a failure." Tuffnut added. "I'm sorry but this isn't the way to impress your father."

Snotlout made a shushing motion but it was too late.

"Snotlout what does he mean?" Both Ruffnut and Fishlegs ask simultaneously.

Snotlout huffed and sat down on the grass while shooting Tuffnut a glare. "You all know how my father is the Field Marshal of the army right." Snotlout explained as the others nodded. "He is such a perfectionist. He is also very competitive and I would have to always win and be the best at everything to make him proud."

Snotlout sighed as the others had taken seats next to him. "He was very embarrassed and disappointed that I was still a low level knight." Snotlout admitted.

"So you thought that catching the Queen would have given you the recognition and the chance for a promotion." Fishlegs stated as he put the pieces together. "It was never about the money for you."

"No it wasn't." Snotlout said sadly. "Let's turn in for the night. We'll head home in the morning."

"You know, now I actually feel a bit bad about giving up this quest." Tuffnut said as they watched Snotlout quietly lie down on his cot.

"What is done, is done." Ruffnut said. "We would not have succeeded. You saw what our target was capable of. Sometimes it is best to know when to retreat."

"I didn't know you were so sensible sister." Tuffnut said which earned him a headbutt.

Meanwhile several people, including the King of Thellone, received missives from their spies in the various villages. The King cursed and threw the goblet of wine he had been drinking against the wall.

"I want the fastest messenger bird we have!" The king shouted as one of the servants scurried out the chamber door to do his bidding. "All hope rests with you now." The king muttered to himself as he took out some parchment and ink.