Chapter 47

Those already in the carriages, with the exception of Heather and Dagur, were surprised as Hiccup and Toothless trotted up next to them.

"What is that?" Geir asked as he peered out of the window and pointed at Toothless.

"A dragon." Hiccup stated bluntly which caused Toothless to let out a snort. "If you look around, you will see many dragons have inhabited the city."

Upon hearing that statement and seeing Toothless several nobles stuck their heads out of the carriages to see various dragons waddling or flying through the city.

"The beasties sure are interesting." Gobber commented as Pavo and he watched a colorful flock of Terrors whiz by.

"So lad, ya still keeping up with your blacksmithing?" Gobber asked as he observed Hiccup.

"Of course Gobber, and I've made some interesting discoveries." Hiccup said as he waved hello at some of the people on the streets who cheerfully greeted him.

"And ya seem pretty popular around here lad." Gobber mentioned as he observed his surroundings.

"Honestly Gobber, he is just a simple blacksmith." Geir muttered. "Nothing to get worked up about. He's still a useless hiccup. Even his girl chose me instead."

Froda muttered something unintelligible and rolled her eyes but looked away from where Hiccup and Toothless were.

"We'll see who is just a simple blacksmith laddie next time yer sword needs fixing!" Gobber yelled from his carriage which shut Geir up and caused Dagur and his sister to stifle their laughter.

They soon reached the castle and Hiccup left them in the capable hands of Eret who would be escorting them further to see Astrid.

"You all go ahead." Gobber said merrily as he slung an arm over Hiccup and picked Pavo up. "I want ta spend some time with my former apprentice."

The royals paid them no more heed as Gobber, Pavo and Hiccup scurried off. Hiccup led them towards one of the courtyard benches. Pavo was playing with Toothless' earplates while Gobber proceeded to clap Hiccup on the back joyfully.

"So who is the lass?" Gobber asked upfront which caused Hiccup to raise an eyebrow.

"What makes you think that it's a girl?"

"Oh come on lad ya can't fool me. You have that goofy smile plastered all over ya face when ya think no one's looking." Gobber mentioned which caused Hiccup to groan.

"Yes Gobber there is someone in my life now." Hiccup said. "But I will only tell you after you fill me in on what has happened while I was gone. I need you coherent."

"Oh lad, I don't think ya can shock old Gobber anymore." Gobber joked slightly but Hiccup gave him a serious look.

"You buy the pitcher of mead in the tavern if you are shocked." Hiccup said with a smirk forming on his face.

"Sure! Ya got a deal laddie."

"So what happened after I left?" Hiccup asked as he noticed that Pavo had gotten Toothless on his back and was scratching the dragon's belly.

"Well I'm sure ya can guess that the wedding continued." Gobber said sadly and then indicated to the four year old. "A year later they had Pavo."

"Why do I have a feeling that it wasn't a happy occasion." Hiccup commented as he watched Gobber look at the boy sadly.

"It wasn't." Gobber stated. "Geir was first excited to have a child but when he saw how small Pavo was he cursed to the Gods. Froda was not much better. She nursed the boy but gave him little attention after."

"What about mom and dad?" Hiccup asked. "Didn't they do anything about it? Pavo is their grandson."

Gobber let out a sigh. "I don't think yer parents knew what to do. They probably saw you in Pavo and they just clamped up. I think they really did miss you when you left but did not know how to express it. Stoick threw himself in his work while your mother started cooking in excess."

"Gobber are you serious?!" Hiccup nearly shouted.

"Aye!" Gobber said while he proceeded to pat his belly. "Valka nearly sent tha village into an early grave with her meatballs. I still have a few rolling around in here."

"Now Geir wanted nothing to do with the boy after he found out that Pavo would be a hiccup so they placed the boy in my care. Took him on as my apprentice." Gobber stated proudly. "That boy will be as good as you."

"So, yer father worked himself to tha bone until one day he collapsed." Gobber mentioned sadly. "He was bedridden for two days and Valka had been getting sick as well around that time. Stoick decided that it was time to pass on the reigns and that's how yer brother became Chief."

"I'm guessing it was bad?" Hiccup queried.

"Lad, bad would not begin to describe it. That boy became even more obnoxious. He actually demanded that we wait on him hand and foot. Things fell into disrepair and he isn't tha greatest at diplomacy. He started slacking off in his training and ya can see the results. His wife's attitude worsened as well. Honestly lad, ya dodged an arrow with that one."

"So I gather Gobber." Hiccup said. "I'm surprised there wasn't any mutiny."

"Oh there was lad." Gobber muttered. "Geir only kept his position because he took Stoick on as an advisor. Things got a bit better from then on but tha lad still acted like yak dung most of tha time."

"So that is why he's here." Hiccup stated to which Gobber nodded. "Yea laddie, and I came to watch over the little one. His mother certainly ain't doing tha job."

"And you are doing a splendid job as always Gobber." Hiccup said as he watched Toothless grab a squealing Pavo by his tunic and deposit him at Gobber's feet.

"Tha next thing we know, it's the start of winter and Berk is being visited by nobles from tha mainland asking for protection. There were stories about how this place was not affected and the nobles decided to come here to ask for help."

"So lad, ya gonna tell me who the special lass is?" Gobber asked as he wiggled his eyebrows while elbowing Hiccup suggestively.

"Alright Gobber but I did warn you. Just promise you will not reveal anything yet." Hiccup said as a smirk crossed his face and he beckoned Gobber closer to whisper in his ear.

"Ya know me laddie. I promise." Gobber said as he leaned in.

Hiccup proceeded to whisper something in his ear and Gobber's eyes widened dramatically before he shouted, startling several dragons on the rooftops, "YOU ARE WHAT!!"