Chapter 52

The Berkians watched the couple make conversation with various parties as they passed by. When Hiccup and Astrid arrived to greet Eret and the others Hiccup noticed that Geir and Froda were still looking at them like they were some out-of-this-world entity.

"Y...Y....You.....but...... you...y...you're." Was all Geir could articulate as he looked at his older brother. His eyes soon slid to the queen and had been traveling down only to be interrupted by a discreet elbow to the ribs by Froda who plastered on a fake smile.

"Congratulations on your marriage." She said stiffly .

"Thank you." Astrid said before leaning a bit closer to Hiccup as they continued to the other guests. Astrid turned her head back to look at Froda, who she saw was fuming, and gave her a smug smile before turning her attention to other matters.

"Uncle Hiccup!" Pavo cheerfully greeted as the pair approached Gobber and the young boy. Pavo ran up to Hiccup and hugged him around the legs, which caused Astrid to giggle at the boy's antics. Pavo then looked at Astrid and gave her a wide smile. "Hello auntie!! You look radiant!"

Hiccup had to bite his lip to stop laughing as he saw his wife's eyebrows shoot up in surprise. "Thank you. Quite the smooth talker just like his uncle." Astrid said as she smiled at the boy.

"I learned from uncle Gobber." Pavo said energetically.

"Well.... Now....ya... see.. lass." Gobber sputtered which caused both Hiccup and Astrid to laugh.

"Uncle Hiccup, where is Toothy?" Pavo asked innocently as he looked around the room.

"You know that is a very good question." Astrid said after she mentally laughed at the nickname.

"He's shy." Hiccup said while pointing to the side of the grand staircase where a black tail could be seen sticking out.

"Can I go play with Toothy?" Pavo asked and Hiccup nodded. Pavo happily sprinted to where the black tail was and gave it a small tug before disappearing behind the staircase.

"Why is tha beastie shy?" Gobber asked curiously. "He certainly didn't look shy when we met him."

"The seamstresses decided that he needed a makeover." Hiccup explained. "So they put a large green bow around his neck. I don't even have a clue how those ladies managed to corner him this morning."

"Hiccup, brother!" Dagur said suddenly as he approached and slung an arm over Hiccup's shoulder. Dagur leaned in close to Hiccup's ear and then whispered. "I don't want to alarm the crowd but your mother has been getting sicker lately and she had trouble breathing just now. Stoick guided her to an alcove where she could catch her breath. She needs to lie down but she doesn't want to start a panic if she is carried out of here."

Hiccup's eyes widened as he heard the news and looked to Astrid who nodded that she too had heard it.

Hiccup discreetly looked towards the alcove which Dagur mentioned and noticed the worried look on his father's face. "The doors not far from there overlook the gardens."

"But there are people near those doors Hiccup." Astrid stated. "How are you going to distract them long enough?"

Hiccup then turned to Gobber who had caught onto what was happening. "Gobber we'll need a distraction." Hiccup said. "Remember the Mead Hall incident."

"Aye lad." Gobber said as his bushy eyebrows shot up.

"I need you to top that."

"Consider it done lad." Gobber said with a grin as he hobbled towards the musicians.