Chapter 33

The flight back to Forline for Astrid, Hiccup and the knights was mostly silent. Mostly because, when she and Stormfly had cleared the dark mist, Astrid shouted and called those assembled royals every curse word in the book while she let out blasts of magic into the sky. Once that was out of her system she remained silent as they continued their journey home.

Eret and Hiccup cautiously flew next to her. "Astrid?" Hiccup asked tentatively as Toothless flew closer to her and Stormfly.

"Those stupid nobles!!" Astrid muttered.

"You should have just let me hit them." Hiccup said as Astrid's knights all nodded in agreement. "And we still haven't gotten your Grimoire back."

"Yes I should have and I would have done so myself but that would have probably started a war." Astrid stated. "Those nobles have been looking for an excuse to get rid of me. As for my spellbook. They will need it more than me now."

They had been flying for almost two hours at top speed, and had nearly reached Forline. Hiccup looked down towards the dark forest over which they flew. Along the horizon he could see torches of light.

"We've almost reached the border." Hiccup said softly to himself as he remembered that Astrid had been working tirelessly together with the stone carvers to create four intricate stone obelisk. Each of the obelisk contained intricate carvings of spell runes. Three of the obelisks were transported to selected areas with the help of the dragons who had followed them, while the fourth had been erected in the castle courtyard two days ago. The obelisks had been set up and were being closely guarded by both knights and dragons.

Astrid had spoken to her court when she had woken up and was first met with skepticism but when she and the scribes produced the old scrolls from the catacombs containing the evidence chaos reigned in the throne room.

When asked why she had not made this public before she simply stated that it was not worth it to throw the Cleric's order into disarray, and many would not have believed her, but now with the looming threat she had no choice. The plan she proposed was met with awe and shocked silence.

Gimor came into view not long after and they landed in the courtyard near the obelisk. Astrid had a look of determination on her face as she dismounted and marched towards the structure. Soon one of the scribes approached her with an ancient looking scroll.

Astrid took out a dagger and cut her hand. She then placed it onto the side of the obelisk let her magic flow into the stone structure as she read the spell from the scroll. Soon the obelisk started to glow green before a green bolt of light shot into the air and proceeded to split in three. Each stream of light headed into the direction of where another obelisk was placed. The other obelisks placed near the border with Euradrin and Orlan, as well as the one placed on a tiny island off the coast started to glow green as well.

It was that night that the people of Forline watched the sky above their country glow green as a giant magic circle appeared over the realm. News had spread about the Queen's plan when the stone carvers were summoned and the citizens now all watched the display of magic in awe.

The magic circle in the sky soon disappeared and Astrid staggered back from the obelisk. Hiccup and Eret both supported her as she breathed erratically.

"It's done" Astrid gasped as Hiccup picked her up bridal style to take her to her chambers. She snuggled into Hiccup's arms and would not let go when he tried to lay her on her bed.

"Will you stay the night?" Astrid asked softly. Hiccup gave Astrid a smile before he climbed into the bed and laid down next to her. Astrid shifted closer and snuggled into Hiccup's chest before sleep overtook her. She did not see Hiccup place a kiss on her head before whispering "You, Astrid, are an amazing woman."

The following morning Astrid smiled as she laid against Hiccup, who was still asleep, and was lazily playing with some of his hair. The moment was broken when she heard someone urgently knocking on her chamber door.

The knocking woke Hiccup up as well and he couldn't help but blush as he saw Astrid laying awake against him.

The knocking continued before Astrid used a bit of her magic to open the door.

"Yes" Astrid said, not moving from her position, as the knight began to turn scarlet when he noticed what he had walked in on.

"F....Forgive m..me your Highness." The knight stuttered before pointing to the window. "But this is an urgent matter. Swarms of dragons are approaching this way."

"What?!" Both Hiccup and Astrid ask before scampering out of the bed and heading towards the balcony. The knight bowed before heading back to his post. In the distance they could make out some tiny dots before the sound of wingbeats became clearer and they marveled in awe when flocks of dragons flew over the city.

"This is not normal" Hiccup said as he had to duck as low flying Terrible Terrors zoomed past him.

"Dragons are perceptive." Astrid stated. "They must have recognized the oncoming danger and are migrating towards saver grounds. This could actually help us if they settle in Forline."

"How so?"

"Remember what I explained to the court. The spell I cast over Forline is as strong as its citizens. It is an ancient spell which conjures a magical shield to repel magic with ill intent. The shield is powered by all living beings residing within it. If the dragons settle here then they will contribute to the shield's strength." Astrid said as she saw a Monstrous Nightmare pass with babies in tow. "And I think the dragons realize this as well."

Meanwhile the royals began holding celebrations as they proclaimed Sielihah's return. The beautiful red haired woman smiled and waved at the masses that had come to see her as she traveled through the kingdoms.