Chapter 1 - "Cause of death: Lauren freaking Jauregui"

Lauren's POV
There was no denying anymore. I had experienced enough Mondays to officially announce that Mondays were dull. Honestly, any day that included wasting seven hours at school was not a good day in my eyes. Of course my day had to start with me trying to push all my books back into the narrow locker. I could list more than a few things that I would change at this school, the damn locker being one of them!

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Alexa walking towards me with graceful steps. As the pretty brunette walked down the hall, all heads were turning to see where the girl was heading this time. It was becoming insane, how interesting they found her and her every move. Most of them had never talked to her and they were still willing to spend their breathing moments curious about the girl.

Not that Alexa seemed to dislike the attention from strangers. Unlike me, she fed off it and was able to ignore it. She met me with her usually broad smile and wrapped her arms around me to hug me.

"Fancy seeing you here, miss." Alexa greeted lightly as she released me from her embrace. "Haven't seen you since the first week of summer. Kind of disappeared on us there. Where did you go?" Alexa asked and flashed me a genuine smile that was impossible to not return.

I closed my locker, a small smile taking over my lips as I recalled the summer. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy spending time with my friends, but lately I had felt more numb than usual. Which was why I had needed to take a few days away from everything and everyone. Without me noticing, a few days quickly turned into a few weeks and abruptly, summer was over.

"Sorry Lex. I spent the time on the field and you know how I get. I forgot the time." I answered honestly, feeling a bit guilty.

"All alone?" Alexa questioned with a hint of worry in her time as she crossed her arms against her chest, looking at me skeptically.

I nodded and sighed, "I needed to practice my shooting without any disruptions or distractions." I shrugged lightly, trying to appease my friend's worrying. "I have missed some of you a lot though." I confessed quickly to try steer the conversation onto another track.

"Some of us," Alexa repeated with a teasing smirk forming, "You better mean me and not that whiny boyfriend of yours. He texted me about you every week during your retreat. Look, Luis might be your boyfriend, but he will never have all of this." Alexa added and ran her hand down her body to amplify her point.

"Definitely missed you the most. Although..." I trailed off and allowed my eyes to roam over her body in an excessive way. "I really don't think I'm missing out on that much."

Instantly, Alexa feigned a gasp and brought her hand to her chest. "Now I have never! How dare you deny the love for your extremely gorgeous, smart and clever bestfriend?"

Laughing at her overly dramatic response, I gave her a pointy look. "Please tell me you are aware that smart and clever are synonyms?"

Alexa's cheeks immediately tinted a clear color of red before she gathered back her pose, "Whatever smarty-pants. If this is how you are going to treat me I would start watching my back on the field." She threatened jokingly, wiggling her brows.

I laughed at her as I knew she wasn't being serious at all. Although, I didn't doubt I would get a few hard tackles from my bestfriend at the field. It was great actually, having my bestfriend on the team with me.

Suddenly remembering that we were back at school I checked the time on my phone. "Shit, I have to get going. Mr. Smith totally kills me if I start this year by being late." I gulped and placed a friendly kiss on Alexa's cheek before running off.

My thoughts spun wildly on my way. It was the first day of school, and I hadn't managed to memorize my schedule yet, which led to many embaressing approaches at some very wrong rooms. After checking the time again, I groaned in frustration. Mr. Smith would definitely not classify me an honor student after this delay.