Chapter 9

Camila's POV

I walked with a steady pace towards the tribune and found myself a well hidden seat in the back row. Despite the fact that it was only practice there was surprisingly a lot of people watching them play. 

Usually I wouldn’t even dream of coming to one myself, but now I had a reason and I was fidgeting nervously with my fingers, trying to spot the specific reason among all the players.

Turned out that I had done a terrific job at avoiding social events as I could feel numerous pairs of eyes watching me in curiosity. Probably just as surprised as me to see me actually attending something else than the library.

You are so out of your element, I thought to myself. Sitting alone with all these strangers peering at me was enough for me to consider actually leaving. My eyes flickered over the path where I could do an easy retreat but instead I met green, emerald eyes.

Immediately when Lauren spotted me she showed none awareness of the fact that she was in the middle of practice or whatsoever. She flashed me one of those undeniable charming smiles, which caused my heart to flutter and prospered my stomach to do several flips.

“Stop scratching your head Lauren and get the damn ball!” The coach screamed from the sideline and his artery pulsated evidently in his neck as he blew in the whistle excruciatingly loud. 

Even from my distance I could see Lauren’s clear eye-rolling before she did as told and chased the ball. Instantly she snatched it out of her opponent’s feet and dribbled it with her down the field. She was good, there was not a doubt. I didn’t know much about soccer but I knew that to make it look so extremely effortlessly Lauren had to be good. 

Sitting still for at least fifteen minutes I couldn’t believe the point in the game. It didn’t seem to be a purpose in it, other than to kick a round ball into a goal, which wasn’t a validated reason in my opinion.

Although I had to admit that the tight shorts were making up for the pointless purpose. Focusing solely on Lauren I was going losing myself slowly. Her hair wasn’t hanging loose anymore, but pulled up in a tight ponytail that gave me a undisturbed view to the structure of her face.

I sighed, she was truly stunning. Her strong jaw-line and prominent eyebrows were clearly her best features and were able to give her the rough, but still feminine look. To be honest she looked awfully alike someone that could be on the cover of a magazine.

Ugh! Why did she have to look like such a model? It made it so much harder not to like her, not to be shallow or anything, but her gorgeous appearance didn’t exactly vote against her. She was one of those girl who just had it all; charisma, intellectual and athletic. She had that appealing that had people drawn towards you. 

Whereas I spent my saturdays nights watching tv-series or hanging on tumblr. Other than that I occasionally met up with Dinah and the others, which didn’t exactly make me the optimal girlfriend material.

Practice ended, but unlike everyone else who went down to greet the players I didn't move in my seat. I was socially awkward and it was no point in denying it. There was simply no way I would be able to go down their without making a fool out of myself.

I could see Lauren coming out of the wardrobe with her sport bag draped over her shoulder and she was chatting away with Veronica. That was something I would never be able to wrap my head around, why someone like Lauren could ever give a girl like Vero some time of her day.

She knew what kind of a person Veronica was, everyone did. She hadn’t exactly been subtle about her escapades. Finally her eyes left Veronica’s and she seemed to search the group of people until she elevated and her gaze met mine.