Chapter 23

Lauren's POV

We were sitting on the grass in the schoolyard, and I was leaning towards the wall of the building. Camila lied positioned with the back of her head against my chest, the rest of her body resting between my legs.

She was tracing soothing circles on my knee while I played with the slight curls of her long brown hair. Lucy was sitting a few meters away with Vero's head resting in her lap. After Vero had more or less settled down and come to terms with her feelings, we'd actually spent more time with the couple.

As usual, our other friends were busy. Ally was probably locked away with her boyfriend somewhere. They had been inseparable since they started hanging out, and you found them rarely without each other.

I dipped my head, my nose grazing Camila's hair. The vague scent of coconut seeping into my nose. "Do you know where Norminah is?"

"Norminah?" Camila hummed peacefully, her eyes remaining close.

I shrugged, "They made us a ship name, and so it is only fair to make them one too." I explained.

"Oh, I've no idea. Dinah hasn't told me anything, and I don't think I want to know what the two of them are up to." She added, pulling a grimace.

"Laur," Camila asked after a few moments and I opened my eyes to look down at the intense brown.

"Mhm?" I prompted calmly.

"Promise to always prefer Camren over Norminah?" She added with a teasing smile, my lips tugging upwards into a broad smile.

"Always." I promised, which made her sit up and turn around. She leaned forwards, placing a quick peck at my lips and one at my nose.

-

I was speed walking to class. I'd walked with Vero to her class and been a bit distracted. On top of my distress, my phone suddenly started ringing. I groaned and fished it up from my back pocket, answering the unknown number immediately.

"Hi, it's Lauren."

"Lauren Jauregui?" The dark voice asked.

"Who's this?" I replied skeptically.

"My apologies ms. Jauregui." The man apologized firmly. "I'm calling on behalf of North Miami Beach Soccer Association. We're interested in getting the formalities out of the way as soon as possible. I understand that the week of your deliberation has come to an end, and an answer is expected."

"One moment, please." I whispered, entering the classroom and trying to sneak undiscovered into a seat in the back of the room. Although I was sure what I wanted, I wasn't so sure about the risks I were taking at the same time.

Looking in front of me, my eyes fixated on one certain back. Camila was sitting at the front next to Ally, her eyes meeting mine with a small smile. And just like that, all my worries vanished. Camila had promised that nothing would break us, and that was all the reassurance I needed.

"I can come by later today and sign the papers. Does that sound alright?" I exhaled.

"That sounds great. We're looking forward to the coming season with you. Welcome to North Miami, Lauren-"

The call ended and I looked down at it while a wave of excitement was suddenly washing over me. All my dreams were suddenly within reach, and I almost couldn't believe it.

All I had to do was keep up the hard work and make sure to develop my skills on the field, which North Miami Beach was the ultimate team to help me do so.