Chapter 12

Lauren's POV

I opened the door to see a nervous Camila standing outside, rubbing the back of her head with her hand she was surpassingly looking directly at me. Her brown eyes were deep and warm as usual, but they were also red and puffy.

A part of me wanted to take a step forwards and ask her what she wanted, but I didn't. I just crossed my arms and leaned against the doorway, my judgement allowing her to start the conversation.

“Firstly, you don’t owe me anything but I would really appreciate it if you would give me at least ten minutes to explain myself.” She started and I huffed, staring at her hesitantly. “Please Lauren, I only need a few minutes.” She assured me while biting her lips, and I realized, I couldn’t say no.

As I kept silent she took it as a sign to continue. “I am so sorry for hurting you Lauren, I never wanted to do that. I was so scared that you would rather listen to what the people around you said, but in the end I was the one not listening to myself.” Camila spoke in one breath and I was listening, her explanation catching my attention.

“Do you trust me Camila?” I asked strictly, demanding an answer and I could see the anxiety creeping up on her face when I put her on the spot. Perhaps it wasn’t fair of me, but I really had to know. When no response sounded I looked her in her eyes, but she instantly looked away, ashamed.

“This will never work if we’re not honest with each other Camila.” I said and grabbed her hand, massaging the soft skin with the pad of my thumb, causing her to look up, her eyes big with probably astonishment over my action. I gave her a small smile, showing her that it was okay. “If you’re not sure about us I think we should not force anything.”

I took a step towards her and lifted her chin up, forcing her fleeting gaze to lock with mine. “So I am going to ask you again, do you trust me?” 

She gritted her teeth and as much as I hated it I couldn’t blame her for lacking faith in me, “I do trust you Lauren, I’m just scared.” She confessed severely, her tone low like the whistling of the wind.

I tilted my head, arching my brow at the statement. Was she still scared of me? I knew I had hurt her before, but if she really believed I would do anything like that again…

“Not of you.” Camila quickly added, sensing my unease. “God, I am not scared of you Lauren.” She assured and grabbed my hand. What she did next surprised me as she lifted my hand up to her lips, pressing a loving kiss to it. The skin firing up beneath her soft lips.

“I’m scared because whenever I am not around you I want to be nowhere else than in your arms. Your affect on me scares the shit out of me and that one day you’ll realize I am nothing special and leave, without even knowing how infatuated with you I am terrifies me. But,” She pauses and I listen carefully, mesmerized by her short speech. “What scares me the absolutely most is how smitten I am with you, it’s like the first time you kissed me I was wholeheartedly enchanted by you.”

“Wow,” I breathed and squeezed her hand, not sure how to respond to the heartfelt admission. Camila looked fairly embarrassed, her cheeks flushed and she was biting her lip again, an extremely distracting habit.

“How do you want me to recover from that? I can’t even think right now.” I confessed a bit startled, but in a good way, my heart raising as I saw her smile. She firmly gripped my hips and pulled me closer, her lips ghosting mine.

“Say you’ll give me another chance.” She whispered seductively and I grinned, my eyes flickering from her speaking lips to her eyes. They were radiating so much warmth that I wanted to dive in.