Chapter 13

Lauren’s POV 

I kissed her to stop her from wondering and to help myself, because I couldn’t have answered her question. Though, I also kissed Camila because I absolute loved the feeling of her soft lips against mine, the butterflies erupting in my stomach.

When I pulled back Camila’s lips formed a smile and we continued to walk back home, my head still pondering on the question. Even if Camila seemed to forget she asked, I couldn’t.

Camila had all the right reasons to hate Vero, she’d truly been a bitch to her and her friends, but that was the problem. She’d only seen Veronica at her worst and Camila didn’t know all the history behind our friendship.

Veronica simply saved me from destroying myself as I had been a nobody. It was cliché but I was never anything popular, I usually kept to myself in the library or ate my lunch in the bathroom, which seriously sucked.

I was never one to care about my appearance like the other girls, and one day I found myself attracted to so much more, which made me feel like an outcast. I started to isolate myself from any social activities and I didn’t really think I belonged anywhere.

That was why I moved and it was also when I met Veronica. Unlike others she immediately welcomed me with open arms. Something about her was just so enticing, she radiated confidence and there was no one that seemed to mess with her.

Being friends with Veronica I quickly learned that she was extremely good to help people with their self-esteem, but at the same time it didn’t take me long before I understood that she was just as good to tear it down. But at that time I hadn’t cared, all I knew was that I wasn’t dreading going to school anymore.

I had done several things I wasn’t very proud of, but they were my mistakes and my choices. No one forced me to do them, I made the decision in all and Camila seemed to forget that. Still, it felt good to know that Camila believed in me to this extent, even if it wasn’t all right.

It took us another five minutes before we entered my house and went straight to the couch. She rested her head in my lap and unconsciously I started to comb my fingers through her thick hair. I felt her petite body let out a content breath, which caused me to smile.

This was perfect, staying with Camila like this, simply spending time together. “Will you please answer my question about Vero. The honesty goes both ways.” She said and I gulped, bringing my hand through her hair one more time.

I sighed, “She’s not that bad, not really.” I said and I knew it wasn't the answer she wanted to hear. Camila sat herself up on her knees, staring at me in disbelief.

“Not that bad?” Camila repeated and arched her brow at me, pushing herself up from my chest. “She basically ruined Ally and tortured us for years. Vero’s not that bad Lauren, she’s a thousand times worse. It’s her fault that my friends and I was afraid to fucking enter the school.” 

Camila’s cursing surprised me. As well as the utter display on resent crossing her features. I could see tears starting to swell up in her eyes. I didn’t know how to respond, I arched to calm her down, because seeing Camila sad was like someone driving a knife through my heart. 

“You know there’s nothing I would want more than to take it all back, but it wasn’t just Vero. You seem to forget that I am accountable for your suffering as well.”

Camila sighed and caressed my cheek with her fingertips, “You’re nothing like her Lauren.” She murmured and I looked down in shame. She spoke so sure, but how could she be? We hadn’t been spending enough time for her to realize who I really was.

“We’re not different either.” I frowned and grabbed her moving hand firmly, taking it in mine I squeezed it. “She’s just troubled, so am I. Can’t we just let it be and watch Nemo?”

“You are such a child.” Camila giggled and leaned forwards, placing a soft kiss on my lips. 

“I am,” I admitted with my eyes still closed, hearing another soft laugh before I felt her lips on mine again.

Automatically I pulled her into my lap and she cuddled closer to me, placing my hand on her back I let it rest there for the entire movie.

I had been so caught up in the movie and Camila’s content breathing that I hadn’t realized her falling asleep. I chuckled lowly, not wanting to wake her up as I grabbed the remote and turned off the TV. Removing a fallen stray of hair from her face I smiled, she looked so beautiful in the vague moonlight. 

Her phone on the table in front of us lit up and I discreetly looked at it, seeing her mother’s name flashing the screen of it I carefully grabbed after it. Her mother was naturally wondering where she was and because she didn’t know what sort of relationship Camila and I had I typed a reply, saying that Camila was sleeping over.

I held my breath as her mother replied with a goodnight and asked me to tell Camila to call her as soon as she woke up. The girl in my arms stirred a bit and I looked down, seeing that her eyelids remained closed as I cautiously wriggled myself away from her.

In this moment I was really grateful for my hours spent working out as I lifted her up and carried her up the stairs with minimal of struggles. Camila scrunched her nose a bit and it was the most adorable sight ever.  

I let her down carefully and was about to walk downstairs to sleep on the couch, not really sure where Camila’s comfort zone went I wanted to give her space.

“Please stay. It’s so cold.” Camila mumbled sleepily and rubbed at her eyes with her hand, not opening them.

I swallowed, hesitating in the doorway. Camila was obviously in a daze, but looking at the small smile on her lips I realized she wasn’t too far away. “Sure,” I replied calmly, trying to force my heart to stop beating out of my chest.

Sliding into the bed I buried my face into her neck and rested my arms around her waist, my fingers tracing serene circles on her stomach.

-

Camila’s POV

During the movie I had been occasionally throwing secret glances at Lauren. She obviously hadn’t noticed as her eyes were glued to the TV intensely, following every step of Nemo’s journey. I couldn’t help the chuckle that escaped. Lauren certainly wasn’t who everyone wanted her to be, she was no controlling bitch.

Actually Lauren was the opposite. Only today she had shown me how childish and playful she could be and I had started to love that side of her, causing me to fall even harder for her.

For ever second that passed I found it harder to stay awake and instead I started to drift away. The next thing I knew was Lauren carrying me up the stairs, my eyes fluttering open to look up and study the lines of her jaw.

I pretended to be asleep, digging my face further into her chest. She smelled sweet and I wanted to stay in her strong arms forever, though I felt a little bad at her obvious struggle to carry me up.

She carefully put me down and I immediately felt the warmth leaving me as her arms let go of me. I shuddered. My body had gotten used to the comfort and now it was suffering from it being taken away, “please stay. It’s so cold.”

I couldn’t hear her answer, my brain already falling back to sleep but I felt her arms wrapping around me, her delicate fingers caressing my stomach. Her hot breath hit my neck and it was so good. I wanted to stay conscious so that I could continue to feel her against my back but my body and mind betrayed me as I soon fell asleep. 

-