Chapter 18

Lauren’s POV

A soft whimper left my mouth as my back crashed forcefully with the lockers behind me. The back of my head had hit the hard surface and it was pounding painfully. I fuzzed in the blurry, my vision slowly returning as I stared into a pair of familiar blue eyes.

“It was your rules Lauren.?” The girl spoke angrily. “your decisions, your kingdom and our fucking misery…” She trailed off and I was too stunned to speak.

“Do you remember how much pain you and Vero caused?” Her voice was astringent, filled with such resent that I flinched.

I remembered her. Oh God, how clearly the memory was etched to my mind. Not only the ones concerning her but every terrible thing I had done to people. They were eternally glued to me and this was one of my innocent victims, 

Madison Miller. A blonde senior that used to hang around with us until last year. We basically abandoned her after she came out as a lesbian, which made me feel sick to my stomach. 

I was undeniably getting nervous, my heart hammering in my chest as Madison eyed me, probably debating the suiting punishment. Recalling the whole story I wasn’t sure what to believe anymore.

Shudders ran down my back in fearing anticipation. Our methods back then had been brutal and it wouldn’t have surprised me if her reprisal would follow similar lines. Her braveness amazed me though, she was standing in front of me alone while I had been guarded by friends.

In a brief moment I saw her hand raising and I prepared for the stroke but quickly she stopped her motion, staring at me with a baffled expression, lowering her hand back down.

“Why aren’t you standing up for yourself?” Madison wondered loudly and her eyes weren’t longer glazed over by anger. “Defend yourself Lauren, have some respect.” She spat and I stayed silent, looking down at the floor.

“I can’t.” I mumbled.

“You can’t?” She laughed, a dark superior tone that runged through the empty hall of our school. No one was around seeing that it was in the middle of class. “What happened to you?” Madison questioned with a smug look. “The admired and fierce Lauren Jauregui, turning into a softy that can’t even defend herself.”

A wicked smile appeared on her face, “what if I took something important from you? Something that matters more to you, someone that matters more.” Madison grinned wider, my blood boiling like it always did when someone talked about Camila in such sense. “She’ll be better off with someone who respects who she is. What would she think if she knew the reason you and your friends terrorized me.” The girl spat and I couldn’t hold back my anger anymore. 

I took a step forwards, pushing her chest challengingly. “Do not drag Camila into this!” I bit out, trying to keep my rage under control but it was hard as she was trying to push all my buttons, purposely provoking me.

“That was not your smartest move.” Madison smirked before lunging at me, her hands pushing at my shoulders and I barely managed to pull her with me. We landed on the floor, wrestling around until Mr. Reyes dragged her off me. 

“What on earth is going on with you girls?!” He scolded and took a sharp glance at me. “Again Lauren? I would think that your last conflict on the field would have at least set your mind straight.” He turned to Madison, another disappointed expression on his face. “And you’re no better. I will see your both in detention.” He growled, letting go of us. “Get to class.”   

I stumbled in direction of my class, watching as Madison went back to hers and I couldn’t believe that I had gotten myself in trouble again. I really had to learn how to control my temper as this was ruining my chances with Camila.