Chapter 7

Camila’s POV

It happened again, for the fifth time this week I had tried to talk to Lauren but all she had offered me in return was a short one-word answer before basically denying my existence. 

To be fair I had ignored her first, but that was simply because I hadn’t told the others. It was different now. After the encounter in the hallway her friends had to know about our potential friendship and I couldn’t help but want to at least thank her for standing up for me.

Complaining about all of this to Dinah turned out to not be the best idea. She wasn’t Lauren’s greatest fan either but she was basically was my only friend since Ally still refused to talk to me and Normani and I had been nothing but distant lately. 

I didn’t blame Normani at all though. She was simply being a great friend to Ally, maybe she was the good friend that I should have been, but what Ally didn't realize was that I needed her too. I needed her to be here for me, but she wasn’t and right now, neither was Lauren.

Going these many days without speaking to none of them made me regret my decision to tell Ally seem more idiotic for each day that passed.

Turned out that I had been delusional all along. Lauren wasn’t interested in getting to know me, she was doing everything in her power to avoid me. 

However, I couldn’t go around feeling miserable all the time and luckily Dinah was doing her best to make me laugh, even jumping around in the hallway. 

We walked out of our second period when I saw an all to common sight, Veronica was yelling at freshman who looked terrified with her head bowed down in shame. 

The scene was downright sickening and something provoked an unknown courage as I yelled loudly, “Hey Vero! Do you still not know how to spell?” I mocked and the instant she heard my voice she looked at me, eyes swimming in anger. 

She walked up to me, “what did you say Camila? You know, Lauren’s not her to protect you right now so how about you and your friend run away before I make you?”

“No.”

“What did you say Cabello?” She scrutinized my face after any signs of retraction, but I just stood there, hopefully standing more tall than I felt.

“I said no. I know you have trouble writing English, but jesus Vero. I wasn’t aware of your problems with perceiving the language vocally too.”

Perhaps that wasn’t the best thing to say but I had so much anger bundled down for this girl. Predictably Veronicas’s face grew red of rage and there was no backing down now. I was wondering if the school would make me a memorable and if Ally and Lauren would turn up with they did.

I closed my eyes and lifted my arms to defend myself, but instead of a hit the only contact I felt was two strong arms locking around my thighs before someone lifted me up and threw me over their shoulder.

“Lauren?! What the hell, let go off me!” I shouted at the brunette carrying me away from the scene while my fists hammered in her back. 

She just mumbled something and kept walking until she reached a classroom and entered it, me still hanging across her shoulder like a bag of flour. Turned out the soccer captain had a lot more upper body strength than I had thought. Sure I wasn’t the biggest girl, but my weight was clearly more than an average girl should be able to carry.

Eventually Lauren put me down and I crossed my arms over my chest, pursing my lips sullenly. “What do you think you are doing? For days you have ignored my entire existence and now you think you can throw me over your shoulder like that?” I screamed and to be honest I wasn’t sure what my anger was direct at anymore. “I was about to kick her ass!”