Chapter 21

Camila's POV

When Lauren removed her hands, the most wonderful place I'd ever laid eyes on revealed itself. It was a small lake centered in the middle, greatly hidden by the tall trees surrounding, protecting it from the world around.

Having the sun shining down through a tiny opening caused the water to glisten magnificently, and I was stunned.

"How did you even find this place?" I uttered curiously, turning to Lauren who was admiring the place just as much.

Lauren shrugged, "A few years ago, after we lost a match I was so angry that I just had to wander around for some while. Then, I accidently walked into the bush and ended up right where we are standing now." She smiled gently.

Watching her explain, her eyes were intense and the green even more prominent, making it obvious that the place meant a whole lot to her.

"I use to come here a lot actually. After I moved, it was the only place I could be alone with my thoughts. This place is free of expectations and there's no one around to judge. It made it way easier to think." She continued, a sad smile tracing her lips.

I nodded, biting down on my lips nervously. Lauren hadn't told me much about her life before she moved, but I didn't want to pressure her about the obviously sensitive topic.

"What happened at your previous school? If you don't want to talk about it, it's fine. I just want you to know I'm here to listen." I commented carefully, fiddling with my fingers.

Lauren sighed, her fingertips brushing away a strand of hair from my face, causing me to look up and meet her tender eyes. "We were bestfriends, almost inseparable." She huffed.

To say I was shocked was an understatement. From what I had witnessed - Sienna loathed Lauren. The same Sienna who recently tried to murder her at their latest's match.

For a moment, I was unable to get out a word. "How?" I croaked.

"She confessed to have a crush on me. At that time, I hadn't even thought about myself being gay." Lauren scrunched her nose up, looking utterly adorable. "All I knew was that I wasn't attracted to her like that. She didn't take the rejection well, and she basically ruined my life after that. Sienna is manipulative, and it didn't take long before everyone I once knew stopped talking to me." She breathed out. "So, I convinced my family to move and that's how I ended up here."

Lauren's explanation managed to match up some of the missing pieces. Why Lauren was so determined to hold onto her friends, regardless of how terrible some of them were. Although, it didn't justify it.

"If you know how badly people can get treated, then why are you so committed to thePopulars? Why not stay clear of the whole scene?" I confronted softly, not wanting to come off too harsh after she'd just started to open up.

Lauren lifted her chin slightly before letting it fall down again, her eyes blanker. "There'll never be a reason good enough. And to be honest, I don't even have one."

Lauren's gaze was fleeting, not particularly fixated on anything. I leaned forward, placing a soft peck on her lips to try calming her down. "It's okay, I'm not mad anymore." I smiled, lifting my arms to link them around her neck.

"You're not?" Lauren quipped, her hands settling around my waist, holding me close.

"No." I shook my head. "You're not who you used to be." I assured, my fingertips tracing the nape of her neck in slow caresses.

"Do you know how great you are?" Lauren beamed, pulling me closer into her body.

I giggled at the compliment, lifting my head until my lips ghosted hears again. "I am pretty great." I teased, my face exploding into a grin as I tore myself from her hold and sprinted in direction of the lake.

"First person in the water gets carried home." I screamed at the top of my lungs, throwing a last glance over my shoulder to watch her start running. For a moment, I actually thought she was going to catch up, but I arrived at the edge before her, kicking off my shoes before carefully enter.

The cold water made me shudder, but I kept walking further until I swung around, yelling at Lauren who had reached the waterside. "You should get in, it's so warm."

She looked at me, which was when I got the terrible idea. I reached under the water, feeling the water gather in my palm before I in one swift motion raised it, causing the cold water to hit Lauren while she was looking down in the water skeptically.

"Oh my god!" Lauren gasped and I laughed at her expression. Quickly stopping when Lauren stepped into the water, a determined expression crossing her features. "You're dead." She threatened playfully.

"C'mon, Lo. Let's not do anything too drastic." I back a bit, feeling the water starting to soak the bottom of my jeans.

"Uh- no. You're not getting out of this." Lauren smirked, coming close and lifting me up, causing me to squeal loudly as I thought she was going to drop me. I locked my legs around her waist, clinging on for dear life as Lauren dipped my body backwards.

"Lauren! Let me down before you drop me." I yelled, squirming in her arms.

"Don't worry, I got you Camila. I like this though," Lauren grinned, "I can see your eyes more clearly."

I stopped fighting, my cheeks turning crimson as I rewarded her with a soft kiss. Lauren took the opportunity to deepen the kiss, parting my lips with her tongue. She explored my mouth as I cupped her face.

"Shit!" She suddenly blurted as she lost balance and we fell into the water, both of us getting drenched within seconds. Coming out of the brief shock, I laughed at Lauren's face. It carried an endearing mixture of shock and annoyance.

"Why are you laughing? It's not funny." Lauren complained as I continued to laugh, supporting myself on her chest, dipping my head to place a kiss on her pouty lips.

"I was right though." I murmured against Lauren's lips. "You weren't strong enough." I teased.

"Oh shut it, will ya." She commented, rolling her eyes while her hands found my sides, grabbing them firmly.

"Only if you make me." I replied knowingly.

"Deal." Lauren said while capturing my lips with her, pulling me with her down into the water. Her tongue didn't waste any time passing my lips, engaging with mine. As the rest, this one also left me lightheaded, and when Lauren moved down my neck, I had to moan. This was moving all so quickly - too quickly. I lightly pushed at her chest, earning a huff from Lauren at the interruption.

"I'm sorry, but- I think mom expects me home soon." I lied guiltily.

"Oh, better get you home then." Lauren nodded, giving me a small smile as I crawled off her, following her back to the car. Way to ruin the moment!

-