Chapter 19

Lauren’s POV

“This is the last time I’m telling you, get up!” My mom groaned and next thing I knew the duvet was pulled off me forcefully, leaving my body exposed to the cooled air in my room.

“I told you, I’m sick!” I countered, retrieving back the safety of my warm duvet and contriving in pulling it over my head.

“Oh honey.” Clara’s voice softened. “You forget that as your mother I’ve seen you sick on multiple occasions, which gives me the ability to also know when you’re not. So school, now.” She barked motherly and grabbed the comforter again, this time taking it with her as she left the room.

“You can’t do that!” I complained after her.

“I just did. It’s called tough love.” My mother screamed back and I let my back fall into the mattress in annoyance.

It took me another five minutes before I had to admit defeat and fought my way into the shower. The heated water soothed down my body and I sighed. My body and mind was a chaos, but I couldn’t deny that it felt good to feel some sort of warmth.

Ever since Camila and I had broken up about a week ago I’d had no desire what to do with my life. It was like everything I used to do and think before Camila had evaporated, delete itself from my mind. I was clueless and the memory of our break-up was still a bit foggy.

Camila had ran out before I could had even started to comprehend the situation and now that she wouldn’t even speak to me it was too late. I couldn’t really believe her request, was it fair of her to give me that kind of ultimatum? Sure I had left out a few crucial details about my past but it didn’t mean that she could force them out of me.

It wasn’t that I didn’t want to tell her, but the past was too painful to relieve. Sienna and my previous friends was a chapter in my life that I wouldn’t like to revisit so I never did. A rough series of knocks on the bathroom door interrupted my train of thoughts.

“You’re not the only one living in this house you know, finish up Lauren!” Taylor drummed on the door and I got out, wrapping a towel around me peacefully instead of arguing back. 

I was too drained for energy to fight with my sister right now. I pulled on a pair of denim shorts and a white top and accidentally met the reflection in the mirror. To be honest I looked like a hobo who had been in hibernation for at least a month, although the truth was that I hadn’t been lost more than a week. 

The plan of getting Camila back would be a hard task seeing that she refused to talk to me. Her friends were naturally taking her side and joining in on  her silence treatment, which meant that there was no chance to get a message through them.

I had been the creator of the rules that determined who you could be and what was unacceptable to be. And now I was paying the most ironical price. 

I was deeply in love with a girl who rejected all those rules and certainly wouldn’t play by them. In all honesty I was almost jealous of her courage, she wasn’t bound by anything. Whereas I had been too concerned about everyone else’s opinions that I incessantly managed to ruin it for us.

I had seen my rules as a necessity, to keep balance and stability to my little universe. But it wasn’t longer the admiring glances from others or the promise of no pressure that was keeping my universe sane and collected. It was simply the feature of a petite girl with big, brown eyes. 

Walking out of the room I met the eyes of a clearly irritated Taylor, her forehead scrunching up. “Did you die in there or something?” She hissed annoyed but her attempt to provoke didn’t have the usual effect.