Princess Meera

"..we need to leave Meera, right now." Anamika said tugging the princesses hand.

"Listen to her Meera Di, use the tunnels and go to Anamika Bhabhi's fathers kingdom." Aaryan said.

"I can't shy away from the doom that's descending upon us, after father and in absence of Samar Bhaisa it has to be me who has to look after the people." I said looking the the unreasonable faces of the people in the inner council and the royal family.

"Now is not the time princess, you must leav-."

"I'm sorry kaka (uncle) but the blood running through my veins does not permit me to run away in fear of death." I said looking at our prime minister

"It's not death you must fear Meera, they won't kill you, for death might just be an easy way out through their clutches, what you must fear is the unspeakable and unimaginable things they might do to you." Anamika Bhabhi said stroking her swollen belly.

"I've made up my mind, Rani Maa, Bhabhi, the maids, the old and the children must use the tunnels and leave for Rajkot at once, anybody who can hold a weapon must ready themselves to face the -."

"Rider approaching. Rider approaching." A guard came running into the council hall.

"What's the matter ?"

"Mahamantri ji, a rider is approaching the front door of the kingdom. He bears the Mughal flag and a white flag as well."

"Let him in, and bring him straight here." Meera commanded.

•••

"King Haider Ali Khan sends his regards to the prince and princesses of Bundelkhand. He has a message that I have come to deliver." The Mughal solider said passing the rolled parchment to the prime minister and brother of the king of Bundelkhand, Vishwajeet Singh.

"I, King Haider Ali Khan send my regards and condolences to the people of Bundelkhand. Wars are such that only lives are paid to settle the debt. Your king is alive and breathing and is a guest of the Mughal saltanat (empire) and he shall be treated with respect and like a king till the time the princess of Bundelkhand comes to collect her father, the King. We hope the travel to our camp wouldn't be tiring and stressful for the princess and she arrives soon to set her father free. Rest assure no more blood shall be spilled till then. Regards from Badesha-e-Hindustan (King of Hindustan) ."

As soon as the prime minister had finished reading the letter the court room broke into a hive of whispers.

"This is preposterous ! The Mughal king wants Meera to negotiate for Raja ji's freedom ? A Rajputana women will never go to a Mughal household in front of those hungry vultures." Anamika protested.

"Rajkumari Anamika is right. We won't let Meera walk into that trap, she is pride and we must pro-."
The mahamantri was cut off by the queen.

"Which pride are you talking about Mahamantri ji ? Our king lies there as a prisoner in the camp of those Mughals, haven't we lost everything with him ? If sending Meera is the only way of getting Raja ji back, get her ready to go." Queen of Bundelkhand Rani Divyanshi also known as Rani maa said without a sad undertone.

"But Rani Maa, how can we send our princess to a Mughal court ?" Anamika protested.

"Rajkumari Anamika, Meera isn't like you or I, half of her still comes from a concubine and I'm sure that half doesn't mind entering the court of a Mughal." Rani Maa said in the court full of people, yet again making Meera realise that she wouldn't never truly be a part of them.

Meera's mother was a court dancer, she fell in love with the king and soon fell pregnant. The king loved her as well and married her despite Rani Divyanshi's protests. A few months later the younger queen died in childbirth giving birth to the most beautiful baby- Rajkumari Meera.
Meera was loved by all, the king loved his only daughter beyond bounds.
Rani Divyanshi's sons Samar and Aaryan loved Meera like their own.
Meera found a sister in Anamika but a mother's love was something she was always deprived off.
Rani Divyanshi hated the existence of the living proof of her failed relationship and the her husband and the concubine's love.

"Prepare her to go to the Mughal camp for negotiation, Mahamantri ji you shall accompany her with a few solider." The queen concluded.
"And you." She said addressing Meera. "Do what it takes to get the king back home, empty the treasury, give away land, cattle, gold, grains whatever they need, just get your father home."

Meera nodded. The queen's words had hurt her, she would go to get her father back regardless of the queens order but knowing that Rani maa continued to hate her after 22 years of her existence let a traitorous tear slip down.

As the court dismissed, a carriages was prepared for the princess and her hand maiden and best friend Kanika.
Meera had slipped into an ivory lehenga, her eyes lined with kohl and a bindi on her forehead, she looked beautiful even without the riches of jewellery.

The entire royal family had assembled in the aangan (inner courtyard) to bid her goodbye.
Anamika was crying uncontrollably, Aryan too was trying to keep his emotions at bay. Her uncle, the prime minister lovingly stroked her head.
"Khush rahe meri beti." He said. (May my child be happy)

She bid her farewell and got into the carriage, a lone tear escaped as the carriage set into motion.