7.

As soon as Kanika left, Meera felt cold with fear, her last chance at escape had walked away with her friend. She pulled down the dupatta and covered her face again.

"Maafi chahta hu iss tarah se apko tanha rukane ke liye, lekin jo ab mai kahonga voh apko akele he sunna hai and uss par akele he amal karna hoga." (I apologise for making you stay back alone, but what I have to say to you now you need hear it alone and act on it yourself.)

Every nerve in Meera's body was aware of the man's presence, just like the prey is aware of the predator and it's impending doom.

Haider walked close to the curtain and stood right across the princess the thin fabric of veil separated them. Although he could see her through it, her face was hidden by her dupatta.

He looked at Tahir who stood in the corner of the tent, Tahir looked at his best friend and nodded at him.

Haider took a long breath and mustered up his courage.

"Don't mind me if I call you by your name, Meera isn't it ?"
He heard no response from her, to which he smiled, the Rajputana pride really was a big thing.

"So Meera, I offer you your father's freedom, he can go back to ruling his kingdom, back to his wife, his kids, his people, although he shall rule his kingdom, he will be remain loyal to Mughal dynasty, be a friend and not a foe, come together in the hour of need, pledge his alliance to me." Haider stated.

"Bolo, qabool hai ?" (Do you agree ?)

Meera listened to the conditions stated, what should she do ?
Joining hands with the Mughals was equivalent to becoming enemies of the other Rajputana Kingdoms.
But her father's life was on the line and Rani maa had said anything was to be given to trade Baba's life.
So Meera took a deep breath and agreed.

"Manzoor hai." She whispered.

"Bohot khoob." (Very well)

"Kya hum ab apne baba sa se mil sakte hai ?" She asked. (Can I meet my father now)

"Mil lijiye lekin sab sharte qubool karne ke badh." (You can meet him surely but only after you agree to all the terms)

"Aur kaisi sharte hai ab." Meera asked. (What else do you need now)

"Apko mujhse nikkah karna hoga." (You)

"Ji ?" Meera asked she wasn't sure she heard herself correctly. (What ?)

"You need to marry me, today, right now, right here." Haider said

"How dare you say something like this, I will never marry you, never. My father would prefer dying than watch me marry a monster like you." Meera hissed. Her fear forgotten, she was just livid at the Sultans suggestion.

"Dear Princess, I'm sure your father won't mind dying, I know he won't. But are you willing to do this to your people, willing see them butchered just because you refused to marry me ?"

"You won't do it." Meera cried

"You wouldn't say this if you knew me." Haider let out a humourless laughter.

"I will kill every man, women and child of your kingdom, every animal which breaths and burn your crops and castle to the ground, I promise you that princess." He said in a calm voice.

"You won't please, you won't." Meera was hysterical and pleading.

"I won't if you marry me."

"I can't marry you please." Meera cried.

"You can marry me, it's just that you won't, I understand."

"You do ?"

"Of course I do, no problem." He said and turned around and walked towards his thrown.

"Tahir, tell the men than we shall be delaying our return home for a couple of days, we'll be leaving for Bundelkhand tomorrow, kill every walking creature, loot all you can, and oh tell the men that they can take a women of their liking from there, one each."

Meera's breathing hitched, and terror hit her hard along with disgust. Her head felt heavy and her vision went dark for a second. She couldn't do this to her people, she had no choice but to agree, even if that meant sentencing herself to death.

"I agree." She said in a feeble voice.

"I'm sorry were you saying something ?" Haider asked.

"I will marry you."

"Oh the offer expired the minute you said no." Haider said with an evil smirk which would put the devil to shame.

Meera pushed the curtain aside and walked into the other side of the tent.
Haider turned to the sound of her anklets which were coming closer to him, he turned around to find her standing 3 feet from him. Her hands folded and her head bowed.

"Please, I beg you, marry me. Don't do this to my people please." She begged in a cracked voice.

"You want to marry me now ?" He asked with a mock in his tone

"I do."

"Okay then." He walked towards her and then surpassed her walking towards Tahir.
"Call the Kazi."

The Kazi was called in, a few prayers were read in a tongue unknown to her and then she agreed to being his wife with just two words, three time for a life time.

AN : Hey !
The story behind writing this book is very simple, I love to read and when I had exhausted all books on Wattpad I decided to creat my own story. I am loving it so far, writing, giving birth to new characters, living their life it's all wonderful.
Some of you have been so supportive, voicing your opinion and encouraging me, it makes me happy beyond bounds.
I just wish the rest of you who are silent readers would take part in this journey as well, voice your opinion, maybe give me a pat on the back even 🙈
I just want to say that no matter what I'm happy writing this story nothing makes me more happier than this well except my dog of course.