33.

Meera had left the palace before lunch and reached the temple with her companions.

"This is so beautiful." Hania said in aw.

The temple was huge, built with stones which were chiseled into beautifully.

The floor of the temple ground was made of red sand marble, there was a havan kund (a pit for fire meant to be used for worshipping) in the front.

To the right of the mandir, steps lead down to the bank of the river Yamuna.

The temple was crowded, women dressed in their best had come to pray today just like she had.

"Abhishek Bhaisa, ask all the bodyguards to wait for us near the entrance of the temple, I don't want them carrying weapons inside."

"But Meera the purpose of getting them here was for them to protect you and shadow you, Haider would be furious if -."

"He won't be, I mean he will." Meera chuckled thinking about Haider's angry face. "But I'll handle him." She said giving Abhishek a small smile.

"And I have you and Jamila with me, who would protect me better than you two."

After a little more convincing Meera entered the temple victorious.

The interior of the temple had even left Meera mesmerised, the darkness due to the stone walls had been cut by the light radiating from every corner by huge oil laps, fresh flowers adorned the walls and left a beautiful sweet scent in the air. The chanting of the mantras vibrated through the solid surfaces and a sense of calmness washed over everyone inside the temple.

The crowd had parted giving the queen way for her prayer. Meera walked towards the shiv-ling (the form in which Lord Shiva is worshiped).

The priest wrapped in an unstitched white cloth (dhoti) welcomed her with a smile.

She descended down a few steps towards the shivling. She raised her pot of raw milk and pour it over bathing the shivling in milk.

She then picked flowers from the plate and showered it on the ling.
She bowed her head and prayed to all her gods, to bestow her family with all the happiness, both her families.
She prayed for a happy married life and for a long life for her husband.

Kanika, Avantika, Hania, Jamila and Abhishek stood at a distance as Meera prayed.

Meera finished her prayers, she bowed down and touched the feet of the priest and took his blessings.

As they exited the the main temple structure, Hania and Avantika couldn't stop gushing about how beautiful the temple was.

"Why don't we go and sit by the river bank, it's not everyday that we step out of the palace." Kanika suggested.

"You are right Kanika, it's been a long time since we have enjoyed this freedom, and this place is the closest to home." Meera said with a sad smile. Although she was happy, she missed home, she missed her house, her brothers and even her father.

"Meera didi, when will we come here next ?" Avantika asked with a pout.

"Whenever you say." Meera threw her head back and laughed at Avantika's childish antic.

"We haven't even left and she is planning for another trip."

"I am too Kanika bibi." Hania grinned wide.

"Me too." Jamila chipped in.

They sat on the last step, the cool water of Yamuna washed their feet. The women soon engaged in random conversation and kept Abhishek on his toes by questioning him about the topic of discussion.