17.

It was just before dinner that Noor had let Meera go to her room to freshen up before the family dinner.

Meera was grateful to have found a new friend in Mahnoor who kept her engaged and taught her the functioning of the Mughal court and harem.
As the Queen, the harem would function under her guidance , she had the sole right over it and nobody could over rule her decision except maybe the king.

Meera washed herself and had dressed down into a smile pistachio coloured Anarkali, she had braided her hair and got rid of all the extra jewellery and bangles.
Keeping her face devoid of any beauty product she just lined her eyes with a light stroke of khol.

"You look quite comfortable in the new dress." She jumped at the sudden voice.

"It is very comfortable." She replied to Kanika who was now sitting on Meera's bed.

"Hmm you are finding your comfort quickly in between foreigners Meera." Kanika spat.

"What are you trying to say?"

"Nothing you should go for the dinner." Kanika smiled weakly at Meera.

"You are coming too." Meera said pinching the tip of Kanika's nose playfully.

"No I don't -."

"I'm not asking my dear, anyway you just left before lunch today and yesterday too you were gone before dinner, if you don't eat you'll fall sick." Meera said and pulled her best friend by her hand down to the courtyard pond where the table was set for the dinner.

She looked at the high table and chairs attached to it, everyone was already seated waiting for her. She had never dinned on a table and chair, never even thought about it.

"It was a gift for Hadi bhai from the king of Persia. Isn't it beautiful." Noor said and Meera smiled at her.

It was a long table along six chairs , on the two ends were Haider and Ammi be, Tahir sat on the right of Haider and to Tahir's right sat Noor, leaving two spots open for Meera to the left of Haider or right of Ammi be.

She didn't want to sit next to him, oh she didn't, so she slid down next to Ammi be.

"You should sit-." Before Ammi be could protest a voice interrupted her.

"Assalam Walekum, I'm sorry I'm late." Zulekha said and slid into the empty chair next to Meera.

"No you are on time." Haider told her with a small smile. "You would have been late when we would have finished all the kebabs without you." He stated.

"You wouldn't dare." She said horrified and made Ammi Be, Noor and Haider laugh.

"Kabhi kabhi hass liya karo aap bhi Tahir Bhai." Zulekha complained looking at Tahir who seemed unamused.

"He would if you cracked jokes to humour him." Haider said defending his best friend.

"Oh Malika-e-Hindustan, what a pleasant surprise." Zulekha said giving Meera a smile which didn't quite reach her eyes, Meera felt small in her presence, the way she looked at Meera, Meera wanted to run to her room and never come down. Meera smiled back at her nonetheless.

"Kanika, why are you standing ? I'll ask someone to set up a chair for you, sit down, join us." Noor said making Meera feel guilty for have totally forgotten Kanika who was standing a couple of feet away.

"No I'm fine." Kanika replied.

"What nonsense, come join us." Noor insisted.

"I said I'm fine." Kanika spat bitterly, Meera turned around to look at her to let her know there was a line she wasn't suppose to cross.