20.

Meera wiped her tears and entered the busy courtyard. People were rushing in and out, some doing their daily work others busy with the preparation for the coming functions.

Meera weaved her way towards the gazebo where she was to meet Haider.
A few ministers stood there surrounding the gazebo, some taking note of whatever Haider was instructing.
Her eyes fell on the figure sitting next to him - Zulekha.

She felt a weird twist in her gut looking at Zulekha sitting with Haider.

"I'm sorry I'm late." Meera said as she came into the vision, all the ministers bowed in respect and greeted her and she smiled politely back at them, the ministers took their leave,  leaving the three of them alone.

"Why are you sorry Malika e Hindustan ? You certainly are above the king, I mean since you make him wait for you, you certainly hold the higher post right ?" Zulekha said with a smile which was anything but genuine.
"And don't worry, I've taken care of it all, it was my job to do this earlier before you arrive and I believe I can do it better than anyone, right Hadi ?" Zulekha said placing her hand on Haider's shoulder.

"Right." Haider said. "That's the only thing you know to do, plan a party." Haider smirked.

"Now that's not the truth, I can do a lot of things very efficient, and you know that." She said she had moved dangerous close to Haider who didn't seem to mind the close proximity  between their bodies and Meera hadn't missed the deeper meaning behind Zulekha's words.

"Thank you for helping me with my work Zulekha Bi, but I guess it's time I do what I am meant to do, you don't have to trouble yourself with anything now, even if you did take the load earlier it's now mine to take." Meera said, she couldn't stop herself. Although Meera was now tuned to listening to Zulekha taunting her, watching her being territorial over Haider had just pushed the trigger.

Meera knew the war between them was now on.

"Zulekha if you don't mind I would like to talk to Meera alone." Haider told Zulekha with a small smile.

"Hadi you were suppose to-."

"I know I'm sorry but this is kind of important, I'll make it up to you tonight I promise." Haider said.

"Tonight." Zulekha confirmed and got up with a smile. She walked out of the gazebo and stopped next to Meera giving her a sly smile.

"Malika e Hindustan." Zulekha mock curtsied and walked away.

A million questions were running through her head and she didn't want to dwell over them, she knew Zulekha was to marry Haider but now she had entered the picture.

"Meera." Haider said drawing her attention.
"I wanted to talk to you about something important."

"Ji ?"

"Come here." He said pointing at the seat next to him. Meera took a seat at a respectable distance from Haider and faced him straightening her dupatta.

"A messenger arrived from Bundelkhand today." He said slowly as if talking to a five year old, Meera's heart on the other hand started to beat a million miles per hour when she heard of her homeland.
"He brought in a message, for you, from your brother." He said carefully. "I know it was from your brother since I read it, I hope you understand that I couldn't risks it, I can-."

"I understand and I'm not upset, I would do the same if I were you." She said cutting him, she knew it was a breech if privacy but any sane and good ruler would do exactly what Haider had, and she said the truth when she said she would do it too.

"Oh, here." He said handing her a scroll.

Meera opened the scroll with trembling hands, she looked at Haider for reassurance and he smiled at her encouragingly.
She instantly recognised the curvy beautiful handwriting of her brother.

Dear Meera,

I hope this letter finds you in a good state, I cannot help but worry for you every day. I am so sorry my doll, I should have been there for you, for father, for our kingdom.
I blame myself for everything and I cannot tell you how much I regret it, I pray for you everyday, pray for your well being, for your safety, for you to return home and I know some day Lord Krishna will listen to my plea.

I won't say father misses you, but your loss has had him bad too, he barely smiles anymore, he blames you for it and I know the reason for his behaviour is my mother, she instigates him everyday.

Everyone knows you are innocent Meera and we miss you dearly. Come soon Meera, I'll be waiting, at least come home to see your new born niece, she has your eyes and your nose, she looks exactly like you when you were that small, when I miss you I hold her to my chest, come Meera, just come home.

I hope you don't recent your brother, I have failed you I am aware but just know that I love you and I will love you till my last breath

Your loving brother
Samar

Haider looked at her worried, the scroll was soaked with her tears, she pulled the scroll to her chest and let out a small sob.
Haider's heart clenched looking at her so broken, he failed to understand that how someone so fragile as her was holding on despite her condition and situation but he was glad that she was strong, she was a warrior.

He pushed her chin up and looked into her eyes which were now red, he pulled her to him and wrapped her in his arms, he was taken aback when she held on to him immediately and broke down.

It was night time, Haider and Meera chose to stay in each other's company till dinner, they sat there in a comfortable silence occasionally making small conversation, it was blissful, Haider had never spent his time doing nothing or having conversations which weren't beneficial to his kingdoms treasury and here he was sitting with the Rajput princess.

"-and Samar Bhaisa always took a stand for me, you know once when Rani Maa's niece was visiting us, she tore my doll apart and pushed me down the stairs, of course she would, Rani maa had told her I was filth and to treat me like one." Meera said with a sad chuckle.

"I broke my collar bone, I was in so much pain but all I could think of was my doll, my mother had made it for me before I was born before she died giving birth to me." Meera said, Haider's eyes widened at the new information, he did not know this, he didn't know that Meera wasn't the daughter of the ruling queen.

"Samar Bhaisa had me made another similar doll but I wouldn't stop crying, he then told me that I cry I would hurt the most beautiful doll my mother made, which was me." She giggle, her eyes shined in the moon light and Haider was mesmerised.

He was mesmerised with her beauty and strength, he was amazed at how Meera could smile even when she spoke about such a painful memory, he realised that he wasn't alone who had a scared childhood, she had had one too and she didn't deserve to pay for her fathers sins and she wouldn't.

Meera's story and Haider's train of thoughts were interrupted by someone clearing their throat.

"Wah bhai!" Noor smirked. "Humare saath toh kabhi ghanto baith kar baat nahi ki biwi ke saath toh bohot gupshup kar rahe hai."

"Noor." Inayat scolded. "When will you grow up."

"Uff Ammi." Noor said as she was dragged away by Inayat towards the dinning area.

Haider laughed and Meera smiled at them.

"Shall we." Haider said getting up.

Meera nodded and both of them followed Noor and Ammi Be.

AN: Thank you so much for all the messages. The update will be a little slow