11.

Returning home was the best feeling. Agra was more than just home to Haider, he had spent 35 years of his life in the city, this city had raised the fatherless boy into a man, a king.

Years into placing pieces in their position and planning his revenge, Haider had completed part one of his plan, his thirst was quenched - a little. He felt truly happy after years.

He dismounted his horse near the main gate of this palace and walked towards the entrance, he was sure his mother would be waiting to welcome him like always.

His welcome was grand, a path covered in rose petals was made for him to walk on and petals of marigold were showering down upon him. He looked around to see smiling happy faces welcoming him, he was home, he felt happy, he felt safe.

As he approached the main door of the castle, on the other side of the threshold stood his family, ready to welcome him.

"Salam Ammi Be !" He greeted and smiled lovingly at his mother. He bent down a little so that his mother could kiss his forehead.

"Walekum Asalam meri jaan." Inayat Begum said kissing her son's forehead and stroking his head affectionately.

"Bohot waqt lagga diya iss daffa Hadi, socha nahi ammi be ka dil tarap raha hoga ?" (You took too long Hadi, your absence makes me uneasy.)

"Maafi Ammi Be. Now that I'm back you can -." Haider stoped midway, he was shut by the jingle of anklets, he had completely forgotten about her.
The jingle stopped, he felt presence behind him.

"Ammi Be." Tahir made his way from the crowd and stood next to Haider.
"Ammi Be, how are you I've missed you so much." He said and wrapped his arms around Inayat's tiny frame.

"Did you not miss me Ammi Be ?" He pulled from the embrace and looked up at the Queen mother like a child hungry for affection.

"Of course I did my darling, everyday I missed you two." She affectionately caressing his cheek.

Next to Inayat stood Haider's younger sister Mahnoor.
Engaged to Tahir, Mahnoor and Tahir were to be married very soon now.

"Mahnoor, how are you ?" Tahir asked with a small smile.
"Good." She said.

"You and Mahnoor continue talking later, first tell me who are the they." Ammi Be said pointing behind Haider.

Haider's heart thudded, he wasn't sure how his mother would react.

"Ammi Be, she is Meera the princess of Bundelkhand, and sh..she is.. she is  my wife now." Haider tried to be confident.

"Your wife ? Princess of Bundelkhand ?"

"Ji Ammi Be."

"Which one is she ?" Inayat asked.

"What?"

"Which one of the two is your wife Hadi ?"

He turned around to see two women clad in lehnga standing, although he had seen his wife before, it was for a split second that day in the tent, when she sported the handprint of her father on her cheek and the busted lip, he didn't quite know how his wife looked like.
He looked at the two veiled faces, and tried to figure out which one was the his wife.

"Have you married both that you can't figure out which one to introduce to your mother." Inayat sassed

"Ammi Be, I-." He was cut off when the women in the orange lehnga stepped forward.

"Hmm, come here." Ammi Be called out to Meera.

She covered the little distance in between them slowly, hesitantly, the sound of her anklet bell jingled as she walked.