1 | dealing with loss

Picture is older Miyoshi

"Hey, Miyoshi."

Teren slid into a seat beside me. The cafe was fairly quiet today, since most of the shinobi of the village were off fighting. The war had come along quickly, and every ninja knew that they could be called off to fight at any given moment. People had even started carrying weapons around with them.

"Hey, Teren. What's up?"

Teren glanced around at the others in the cafe before replying in a low voice.

"Have you heard what happened to Minato-sensei's team?" he whispered urgently.

"What? Has something happened to them? Is Rin okay? Obito? Kakashi's alright, isn't he?" I lowered my voice, but I couldn't keep the edge of panic out of it. Five years of training as a medic alongside Rin had caused us to become closer friends than ever, and I had become good friends with Kakashi and Obito, too.

"It's Obito." There was such a finality in his voice, implications barely concealed. My eyes widened, and I felt tears pricking my eyes.

"Is... Is he...?"

"They didn't even have a body to bring back. He was crushed by a ton of boulders. They say Kakashi hasn't spoken to a single person since they got back," Teren said in an undertone.

"No, this is awful!" I whispered. "Not Obito... How... I never..." My voice faded away, because my throat was burning. I put my face in my hands, not bothering to hide that I was crying.

"We're all pretty traumatised. It's supposed to be confidential, because otherwise the people will get downhearted, but it's kind of hard to hide this kind of thing from ninja. Most of our classmates know already."

"What are they doing about it?" I asked hoarsely.

"What do you mean?" Teren frowned. "What would there be to do about it? Funeral arrangements have already been made."

"We should be doing something to help remember Obito!" I insisted. "What about Kakashi and Rin? Has anyone tried to talk to them since they got back? They'll be feeling worse than any of us!"

Teren looked dumbfounded. "I... Well, I didn't think about that," he admitted. "I don't think anybody's seen either of them."

I stood up violently, slamming my hands down on the table. Teren flinched. "I'm going to find them. I'm the medic around here, I need to fix all this."

I stalked off, leaving Teren to gaze after me helplessly. I was still crying, and my eyes were probably going to be red and puffy, but I had to find Rin and Kakashi before things got any worse. Leaving them alone to deal with their grief was the last thing you wanted to do.

Dealing with loss was one of the first things we were taught in medic training. It was mostly meant for us, since they warned us many times throughout the duration of our training that there would be patients we could not save; but healing was more than helping seal up wounds and mend broken bones. There would be cases when the pain did not come from an external wound, but from the heart, and medics were expected to heal that too.

I brushed the tears from my eyes as I ran down the street, and didn't see anyone in front of me until it was too late, and I ran headlong into Guy.

"Sorry!" I gasped.

"It's okay." Guy offered a hand, and I took it. "I wasn't really looking where I was going, either."

"You heard, then?"

"Yeah." Guy was uncharacteristically quiet.

"Hey Guy, have you seen Kakashi or Rin around?" I asked.