91 | out in the open

Naruto yawned widely, and I noticed for the first time how exhausted he was and how late it had gotten without me noticing. Had the whole day really slipped past that quickly?

"Alright, I think we should call it a day," I said.

"N-no, I wanna..." Naruto yawned again. "One more time..."

"No, it's late," I told him firmly. "Come on, I'm taking you home." I picked Naruto up, and when he realised he would not be getting down, he quit struggling and relaxed. I shifted him onto my back so that I could walk down the cliff without disturbing him too much.

I reached the bottom and was walking back to Naruto's when I encountered someone I had hoped I wouldn't see. Itachi said my name in surprise, eyes wide, then broke into a smile.

"I haven't seen you in a while."

"Yeah, well. Naruto and I have been training," I said shortly. I really didn't want to talk to him right now.

"Are you okay?" Itachi asked. "Nobody has been able to get in to see you."

"I'm fine," I snapped. Naruto stirred on my back, and I realised he had fallen asleep. I looked back at him, sleeping softly with his head resting on my shoulder. "I have to take him home. See you, Itachi."

I got out of there quickly, hurrying back to Naruto's house. I loved Itachi, but I really did not want to face him. I had been able to tell from his calm resignation in the office those weeks ago that he had accepted what he was going to do and wasn't going to change his mind. I still couldn't believe him.

I pushed the door open with my foot and carried Naruto up to his room. He stirred slightly when I moved him from my back to his bed, but didn't wake. I pulled the covers over him and kissed his forehead lightly.

"At least some things stay the same," I whispered to him. "Don't ever change, Naruto. You have to promise me that."

"Gonna be... Hokage..." Naruto mumbled. It took me a moment to realise he was sleep talking, and I grinned.

"You'll be a damn good one too, buddy."

I closed the door quietly behind me and started to head back in the direction of my house. It was really dark, especially with winter nearing, and I found myself pulling a small torch from my thigh holster to see with out of the cover of the street lamps.

As I walked, I reflected on Naruto's training. He was getting better, there was no doubt. He was faster, and his Taijutsu had a little more force behind it. His Ninjutsu was still lousy, but his chakra stores were so extensive that I felt sure he would be able to master anything with the right amount of training. Yes, at seven years old he wasn't even passable as a ninja, but he had such great potential that I had no doubt he'd be incredible one day.

"Miyoshi! Hey, where have you been?"

I was interrupted by a flying hug coming from behind me. I recognised Kurenai's squeals, and when she finally released me, I turned to face her messy black hair and crimson eyes.

"Hi, Kurenai."

"I haven't seen you in weeks, did you have a surprise mission or something?" Kurenai frowned.

"I'm fine, I just needed a little space," I replied airily. "It's nothing, really."

"You look tired, you okay?" Kurenai pushed.

"I've been up on training ground 6 with Naruto," I explained. "We were practicing all day. That's probably why I look a little worn out."

"If you say so," Kurenai said. "Well, do you want to come down to the bar with me and Asuma? I'm sure he wouldn't mind, and you look like you need a pick-me-up."

"No thanks, I don't drink," I said. "I'll see you around."

"Oh. See you." Kurenai waved a small goodbye as I walked away. It was true that I didn't drink, but at the same time I also didn't want to be too overwhelmed by all the activity and loud noises of a bar, especially if there were people I knew there. Already I was starting to regret coming outside.

My next interruption was in the form of a summon from the Hokage which was dropped on my head by a messenger hawk. Annoyingly, I couldn't ignore it since I was right out by the Hokage's tower. I imagined he could just about see me from his window, especially with my torch shining a beacon to anyone who happened to be looking at me.

Letting out a long sigh, I turned and trudged reluctantly up to the Third's office. I was let in by an ANBU before I was close enough to shove the door open.

"What now?" I moaned.

"Show a little more respect for starters." The Hokage narrowed his eyes. "I wanted to talk to you about your recent absence. Knowingly ignoring my direct summons is a serious offence-"

"I needed some space, okay?" I interrupted him before he could lecture me too much. "Can you blame me?"

The Hokage sighed and sat back in his seat. "No. I can't. I just want you to remember that everything I do is for the sake of the village. I also wanted to inform you that I have forbidden Itachi from executing his... plan."

"Thank you." I felt a weight lift from my chest, but there was still a pretty heavy burden there. What if Itachi decided to go through with it anyway?

"There's one more thing," The Hokage said. "On his recent mission, Kakashi discovered evidence that Kokuyōseki may still be alive."

"Seriously?" I gaped.

The Hokage nodded seriously. "For that reason, I'm sending Kakashi on a mission to assassinate him once and for all. He requested to go alone, which I found highly unusual."

"Alone?" I echoed. Why would Kakashi go alone? Was he stupid or just really overconfident? I couldn't see Kakashi as either of those things, but surely he wouldn't risk taking on Kokuyōseki alone?"

"Miyoshi."

I realised the Hokage had been saying my name. "S-sorry sir, did you need something else?"

"Kakashi requested to be alone for this mission, but you and I both know that even at his best he may not be powerful enough to carry it out and return safely. For that reason, I need you to go with him as backup. This is an order from me, and you should be sure to tell him that even if he tries to send you back. You're dismissed."

I bowed and ducked out of the room.