53 | the big two zero

"KURENAI!" I screeched, leaping over houses and sprinting along the roves at full pelt. "Kurenai, help! There's an emergency!"

I crashed rather unceremoniously through Kurenai's window, and amidst a pounding pain in my head and swimming vision, I caught a glimpse of Kurenai racing over to me.

"Miyoshi? What's wrong?" She knelt next to me, fear edging her voice. "Are you okay?"

I pushed myself up into a sitting position. "No!" I exclaimed dramatically. "There is something really wrong!"

"What?" Kurenai asked.

"Did you know it's Kakashi's birthday next week?" I demanded.

"Uh..." Kurenai froze, then sighed. "Miyoshi! I should have known you would make a big deal out of something like this."

"A big deal?!" I all but screamed. "Kurenai, it's next week! I had no clue! That idiot didn't bother to say anything, so I haven't planned at all!"

"Maybe he didn't want you to make a big deal out of it?" Kurenai suggested.

"I don't care! You can't turn twenty and not have a huge party!" I raged. "So I'm going to organise one. You in?"

"I - sure, I guess...?"

"Great!" I stood up violently, and scribbled Kurenai's name on the back of my hand. "Be right back with details!"

"Miyoshi-"

I didn't listen to the rest of whatever Kurenai had to say, because I turned around and shot out of the window again. If I was going to plan a party, I needed attendees, and Kakashi didn't exactly have many friends.

"Guy!" I found the green-clad Taijutsu master battering in a tree stump, shouting aggressively about the power of youth.

"If I cannot hit the stump one thousand times, I will do five hundred press-ups!" he bellowed, slamming his foot into the stump.

"GUY!" I yelled. Guy paused mid-kick and looked up, noticing me for the first time.

"Miyoshi! Have you come to join me?" he asked with an ostentatious grin.

"Not quite." I glanced distastefully at the stump, which bore the marks of intense wear. "It's Kakashi's birthday next week, and I wanted to know if you'd come to a surprise party?"

"To celebrate the birth of my eternal rival!" Guy exclaimed. "Of course I shall attend!"

"Don't tell Kakashi," I added with a warning glare, before heading off again.

I found Teren and Garake at the barbecue, much to nobody's surprise. Teren was leaning casually back, eyes closed. Garake appeared to be making an attempt at his own meat-eating record.

"Hey guys!" I hurried over to join them.

"Miyoshi!" Teren greeted me. Garake flashed me a quick grin between mouthfuls. "Want to join us?"

"No thanks, too busy. Did you know that it's Kakashi's birthday next week?" I demanded. When both shook their heads, I went on. "Well, he didn't think to tell anyone. I only found out when I was revising his medical records, and now I've only got a week to plan a party! Can you guys come?"

Teren glanced at Garake, then nodded. "Yeah, don't think anything's going on. Not unless we get an unexpected mission."

"Great. Also, you're in charge of food. I don't trust myself in the kitchen."

"Hold on a minute-"

"He doesn't like sweet food, by the way. Thanks!" I shot off again, having just had another thought.