68 | so what now

It was almost a full week before Chiriku deemed my wound healed enough to go back home. Garake recovered quicker than me, despite having fractured his skull and having concussion. We gathered up the group quickly to head home.

"So, you coming, Asuma?" I asked. "We came all this way to get you, after all."

"I don't know." Asuma looked at the floor. "My dad and I... we had a pretty big argument. I don't know if I really want to face him."

"It'll be fine," I said assuringly. "I argue with the Third all the time, and he's still kind of an ass but I put up with him anyway because it's my job."

"Yes, but he's not your father," Asuma muttered.

"I don't know if you noticed," I said coolly, "but my father's dead. Cherish the time you have left with yours. And what about Kurenai? Would you just leave her?"

"N-no, I..." Asuma seemed startled by my sudden challenge.

"Come back to the village with us. If you stay here, you have everything to lose and nothing to gain," I told him.

"I suppose," Asuma mumbled, glancing across the group at Kurenai. I clapped him on the back.

"Go talk to her."

Asuma glanced once at me, then headed over to where Kurenai was having a casual conversation with Genma. The two stopped talking when Asuma came over, then Genma excused himself with a smirk.

"Did you convince him?" Kakashi asked, appearing at my shoulder.

"I made him think about it," I replied. "Whether that's enough, I'm not sure."

"It will be."

Genma sidled up to us, the smirk not gone from his face. "So are you two an item yet or what?"

I glanced at Kakashi. "That's a good question, are we?"

Kakashi shrugged. "We can be if you want."

"Yeah, okay," I decided.

Gemma's mouth dropped open, and his senbon slid out of it and fell to the floor. He didn't seem to notice. "Just like that you got together?"

"Yep." I was getting far too much amusement out of this, and had to bite my cheek to keep from laughing at the look on his face.

"Man, Kakashi, if I had your skill with women, I'd be in a relationship already." Genma sighed.

"'Skill with women'?" Kakashi repeated. "I wouldn't call it that, exactly. More like a standing relationship that has probably needed defining for a while."

Genma rubbed his temples. "Excuse me while I spread this gossip to the whole village." He picked a fresh senbon from his thigh holster and placed it carefully in his mouth before walking over to where Teren and Garake were lounging against the temple gates.

"Oh, this isn't good," I muttered. "Kashi, take cover."

"Why?" Kakashi asked, a split second too late. There was a loud explosion from the direction Genma had just headed, and a red streak launched itself at Kakashi, who unfortunately was an ANBU captain and was used to people launching themselves at him with intent to kill. Instinctively, he grabbed the hand that was holding a kunai and Garake's scarf, and in one smooth motion the bomb user had been stopped in his tracks by the scarf around his neck, and his own kunai was pointing at his neck.

"Kakashi." I sighed.

Kakashi relaxed and released Garake from the death hold, as I had dubbed it a while ago. "Please don't spring me like that again, you're lucky I didn't kill you."

"Dude, what the hell?" Garake demanded. "For multiple things!"

"Sorry." Kakashi sighed. "It's a reflex."

"Yeah, well." Garake adjusted his scarf. "What's your deal with Miyoshi?"

"Apparently we're dating." Kakashi glanced at me for confirmation, and I nodded.

"You can't date her without my permission!" Garake declared.

"Garake." I put my hand on his shoulder, cutting in swiftly. "I'm twenty. I can date who I want. I know you're just worried about me, but I can make my own decisions now."

"I know, but-" Garake suddenly flung his arms around me. Then he turned and shot Kakashi his best glare. "You better treat her right!"

Kakashi raised his hands in surrender. "Of course I will."

Garake seemed happy with that answer, as he released me and stalked over to where Teren was still slouched against the gate post. He winked at me when I met his gaze, and I poked my tongue at him in response. Very mature, I know.

"Think he's going to leave me alone?" Kakashi murmured so I could barely hear.

"Oh, definitely not," I responded. "Hold on a sec, I'm going to interrogate Asuma."

"Go easy on him," Kakashi said.

"Hey, Asuma!" I strode over to him and Kurenai. Both looked miserable. "Have you decided what you're gonna do yet?"

"No." Asuma's shoulders slumped. "I really don't want to go back, but if I stay here..." he gestured helplessly around at everyone.

"Asuma, if your father is putting you off that much, you don't have to face him by yourself," I told him. "We'll all stay with you if you want us to."

"Thanks." Asuma smiled a little. "That... that really means a lot."

"Oh, Miyoshi." Kurenai cut in. "What's this about you and Kakashi dating?" There was a smirk on her face that made me nervous. "You finally got together?"

"Well, Genma just asked if we were, and Kakashi said, 'do you want to be', so I was like, hey why not. It's really not a big deal," I told her quickly.

"Oh, yes it is," Kurenai countered. "How does Kakashi treat you?"

"Like a good friend, I guess." I frowned. "What's all this about?"

"How does he make you feel?"

"Uh... do we really have to do this now?" I was positive that my face was red, both from the heat in my cheeks and the triumphant look on Kurenai's face.

"Oh, yes." She leered at me. "Answer my question!"

I was saved by none other than Kakashi, who came walking over with his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"Are we ready to go?" He glanced between me and Kurenai, then sighed. "I'm not even going to ask." He turned away and replaced the ANBU mask on his face. I shot Kurenai one final glare before doing the same.

"Alright." Kakashi's voice rose above everyone else's. "Move out!"