54 | later

It was almost three in the afternoon when all the food was finally eaten, and people were beginning to leave. Teren and Garake took down the tables and carried them back to Teren's place, and Asuma had already backed out, saying he had to babysit for his young nephew. Kurenai had used training as an excuse after that. Kakashi didn't seem to mind that everyone was leaving; in fact, it was him who convinced Guy to finally go home. Tenzō had ducked out pretty quickly, too.

"It's just us," Kakashi commented. "So what was that extra surprise you were on about earlier?"

"Oh, nothing of any importance," I said sheepishly. "I just thought we could use the time off to train for a bit. I haven't practiced my water style in forever."

"Fair enough," Kakashi conceded.

"But the gift." I grinned. I'd hidden this one somewhere it wouldn't ever be found, inside the trunk of a tree. It was something I'd put days of thought into, and had hunted for it in every market I could possibly reach.

I pulled it out with a flourish. This had been gift-wrapped in the store, so it had the appearance of a long, slim box.

"That was store-wrapped," Kakashi said instantly. "There's no way you did it that neatly by yourself."

"Oh, stop raining on my parade." I scowled. "It's the gift that's important, anyway. I spent ages looking for it, so it's the best of the best."

Kakashi took new interest in the box. He opened it and slid out a thick leather scabbard, black and encrusted with small rhinestones. He glanced up at me, and I motioned excitedly for him to unsheathe it. From the scabbard emerged a short sword made of glinting white steel, with a plain black leather hilt. He gave it a few experimental swings.

"This is really cool," Kakashi admitted.

"You sound like you weren't expecting it to be," I teased. "The guy who sold it to me said it was the last one made by the legendary weapon smith, Kori Hagane. It's compatible with all chakra types."

"A Hagane weapon?" Kakashi's eyes widened. "How much did you pay for this?"

"How much have you spent on me in the past?" I countered. "Besides, I'm not exactly poor. My parents left a small fortune."

"But a weapon made by the Hagane clan..." Kakashi viewed the blade with a new reverence in his eyes, running his fingers along the steel. His touch made it spark with blue lightning.

"See? It reacted to your chakra," I said. "Seriously, it's yours. I have two Hagane weapons." I grinned, gesturing to Hokori and Yorokobi.

Kakashi examined a small engraving on the steel near the hilt of the blade. "This is kanji. It says Shiroha."

"Probably its name," I said. "Hagane blades are often named. Do you want to test it out?"

"Why not?" Kakashi conceded. "I haven't had the opportunity to beat you in a while."

"Why you cocky little-!" I growled, and launched a roundhouse kick at his side for the arrogant remark. He caught the blow easily with one hand, and placed the other on my back. I couldn't move. He pushed against my back and threw me, releasing my foot so I skidded along the ground. When I opened my eyes, Kakashi was standing over me lazily, pointing Shiroha at my throat.

"Checkmate," he intoned.

I glared at him. "That doesn't count! I was just warming up!"

"Warming up by being thrown on the floor? Good idea, you'll probably do that a lot."

"Shut up!" I complained. Kakashi snorted, but removed his foot from my stomach and offered me a hand. I looked at him for a second, then relented and allowed him to pull me to my feet.