77 | long walks

"My feet are dead," I complained for the millionth time on the journey. "And I'm cold and tired and hungry. Can we stop soon?"

"You're fine. Stop whining," Kakashi said, not looking up from the map he was consulting. We had crossed the sea on a ferry, and now that we were in unfamiliar, hostile land, Kakashi had been reading the map almost as much as he read Icha Icha around the village. He also seemed very on edge, despite our disguises.

"I'm not whining, I'm just informing you that I am miserable and would appreciate arriving soon."

"Good news, we're about ten minutes away," Kakashi said. "We should see the village just on the horizon in a moment."

I ran ahead, aching feet forgotten, and caught a glimpse of buildings through the thick forest that we were walking through. "I can see it!" I announced excitedly.

Kakashi finally lowered the map from in front of his face and smiled. "That means we're close. When we arrive, we should leave our stuff at the inn I've booked before finding that cafe."

Finding the cafe was a pre-prepared code we'd planned for hunting down our target. Kakashi was naturally a very careful man, and he told me that in unfamiliar territory, there could be ears everywhere. Even when we thought we were alone, we had to speak as if our enemy was right next to us, listening to every word.

We arrived at the village in thirteen minutes, not ten, as I so pointedly told Kakashi. He just smiled and shook his head, hands in pockets as if he had to put up with this frequently. In fairness, he probably did.

"Well, Saka, we've arrived," he said. My code name for this mission was Aisaka, but for the sake of the couple picture Kakashi had decided that he would call me Saka, like a pet name. Similarly, I supposed, to the way I called him Kashi.

"So where's that inn you were talking about earlier?" I asked.

"I think it's around here." Kakashi turned a corner. It was lined with yellow street lamps, and there was a light drizzle settling on the ground. At the end of the street was a small, cosy looking building bearing the name 'The Ninja's Hound'.

"Is that it?" I pointed it out.

"Yeah, that's the one." He smiled gratefully, though it felt like he was acting. "This eye is making everything so awkward."

"Never mind." I put an arm around his waist, half acting and half because I wanted to and now I had an excuse. "It'll heal soon, right?"

"Not for a few weeks yet." Kakashi guided me into the inn, where a male receptionist wearing thick clothes and sipping a mug of hot cocoa greeted us cheerfully.

"Do you have a reservation?" he asked.

"Yes, a room for two. It should be under Yuseki," Kakashi said.

"Yuseki..." The receptionist mumbled to himself, flipping through a notebook. "Oh, yes. Is that Hansu?"

"The one and only." Kakashi smiled.

"Room 26." The receptionist handed over a key. "Enjoy your stay!"

"Thank you." Kakashi took my hand and led me down the corridor to where the rooms were. Ours was near the end, since there were only thirty to begin with. Kakashi unlocked the door and opened it into a roomy space with a king size bed and ensuite.

"This is pretty nice." I dumped my backpack on the bed.

"You don't mind sharing?"

"Not my favourite thing, but I guess I'll survive," I replied.

"That's not what you said last time," Kakashi observed.

"Last time was a year ago, times change."

"Someone's looking forward to it," Kakashi teased, taking my hand.