43 | cure

Working in the hospital was kinder to my wellbeing than working in Kurenai's home. I was able to work in shifts, although I couldn't take any time away without an Uchiha around to locate the puncture wounds on the patients' necks. Fugaku Uchiha, the Clan Head, had been surprisingly willing to cooperate. There were two Uchihas sent a day, and they took two hour shifts, which meant four hours in which I could relax.

I hadn't seen Kakashi since being assigned to the hospital a week ago, but I could only assume that was because I was too busy for visitors, and my four hours of break were typically spent sleeping. I'd healed more patients than I could count, but the real frustration was that any surgeon could have performed the surgery and administered the cure, but the Uchiha and I were the only ones able to identify the location of the puncture.

It was around six in the morning when I was relieved of my duty for two hours. As I was leaving the hospital, I saw the person who was going to be taking my place in the surgery.

"Itachi," I greeted the young Uchiha in surprise. "I wasn't expecting you to be here."

"It's my day off," he explained. "I offered to come and help."

"I don't know the meaning of the word 'day off' these days," I commented ruefully. "And if I did get one, I certainly wouldn't spend it helping out in here."

Itachi smiled a little. "I wanted to help. My father is sending two others later, too."

"So I get extra time off?" I realised. "Itachi, I could kiss you right now."

"That won't be necessary," Itachi said quickly. I laughed, and decided to settle for ruffling his hair. Being only eleven years old, he was quite a bit shorter than me. I think he somewhat resented it, but he never said anything.

It was too early for Naruto to be awake, I decided. And besides, he would be going to the Academy today. No, I wouldn't be able to visit Naruto today. I decided to go and get some ramen from Teuchi anyway. I was starving, having been working all night.

"Good morning, Miyoshi!" Teuchi greeted me heartily as I approached the small shop. His daughter, Ayane, peeped over the top of the counter.

"Morning, Teuchi. I'll get a veggie ramen, please." I settled myself at one of the seats and retrieved a pair of chopsticks. Teuchi placed the bowl of ramen in front of me with a sympathetic smile.

"You look tired. Work dragging you down?"

"Would you believe that I'm currently working twenty hours a day?" I said through a mouthful. "I barely have time to breathe, let alone eat and sleep."

"What on earth's going on to make you work that much? I hope they're paying you overtime," Teuchi commented as he went about washing up some bowls.

"I'm supervising surgery for curing the people who have been falling ill with that mysterious fever that broke out a couple of weeks ago," I explained between mouthfuls. "Whenever I don't have patients to tend to, I'm dragged into meetings with the Hokage to try and figure out how to stop it completely."

"Most people would be honoured to have an audience with the Hokage," Teuchi pointed out.

"Yeah, well." I frowned. "Me and him aren't exactly on the best terms." I was still annoyed over the whole Itachi incident. I was also now harbouring a grudge over my working hours. The combination had left me with rather ill feelings towards him in general.

"Morning," said a familiar voice. I looked up and saw Kakashi sitting down next to me. "I'll have a miso ramen, please."

"Hey, Kashi," I greeted him casually.