18 | run, little mouse

Picture is Miyoshi and Kakashi again. I'm running out of ideas for pictures to be honest, so they'll probably get a bit repetitive...

We came clear of the forest just as the sun began to set. I didn't stop or even slacken the pace as we entered the snowy desert right on the borders of the land of snow. The terrain here was much different to what either of us was used to; the mountain air was thin and cold, and there was a thick layer of snow covering the ground and what little growth there was out here. Even despite how much snow there already was, more drifted down from the pale sky, dancing on the piercingly cold breeze.

"Miyoshi, we need to stop-!" Kakashi called from a short ways behind me. I shook my head; my muscles were burning from the long run, but I had to make it to the mountains as soon as possible. My breathing was laboured and I was getting tired, but I had to keep running.

He had interrupted a few times, but I hadn't spoken since we left the Tree Village. It must have seemed out of character to him, but I had no time to explain. Preferably, I would have him go back to Konoha, but asking him to do so would only cause more questions, and I doubted that he would listen to me.

I could see the mountains now, in full; not just peaks on the horizon. I was getting close. It was cold, though. I was starting to wish I had worn something more substantial than my plain t-shirt and armour.

What are you up to, Hajimaru?

I felt something grip my arm, and almost jumped out of my skin. It was Kakashi; he was holding me back and stopping me from continuing the journey to the mountains.

"What do you want?" I spat.

"Answers," Kakashi replied just as harshly. "Where are we going?"

"The mountains."

"Why?"

"You don't have to come," I snapped. "Go back to Konoha. You'd only be in my way anyway."

"You're going to fight him." It wasn't a question.

"That was our mission, wasn't it?" I glared at Kakashi. I should have left him at the Tree Village. He was only going to be a nuisance from here.

"That was my mission," Kakashi corrected. "Last I checked, you're only supposed to be medical support."

"There's been a change of plans," I replied coolly.

"And who authorised that?" Kakashi challenged.

"Me," I said curtly. "Now you can come with me and stay out of my way, or you can go home. Your choice."

"You should at least take a break before you go." I couldn't see Kakashi's face past his ANBU mask, but the vice grip he had on my arm told me that he was going to make me, and that he was prepared to fight to do so.

"It's not that late. If I come across a cave on the way, maybe I'll consider stopping for a few minutes." I tried to tug my arm out of his grip, but he wouldn't relinquish it.

"No. You've been travelling all day, and I can see that you're tired." I lifted my gaze to stare at him. I could barely see his dark eye through the mask's eye holes.

"I'm not tired."

"You are. I can tell. The sun set two and a half hours ago. You haven't even noticed how late it is."