50 | just freaking eat your veg its not hard naruto

I sent Kakashi home the next morning. His chakra wasn't fully recovered, so I told him firmly not to join any missions for a few days, but it didn't seem fair to trap him in the house any longer. Besides, there was someone I had to visit.

I knocked loudly on the door, right in the centre of the red painted swirl that was the Uzumaki clan symbol. Surely he'd be awake by now; it was nearly noon, and the Academy had broken up for summer besides.

There was no response from inside the tiny apartment. I banged fiercely on the door. "Naruto, open up!"

I heard thudding, slow footsteps approaching the door and then it swung open to reveal Naruto wearing just shorts and looking like a zombie.

"It's early, Miyoshi, what're you doing here?" he complained.

"Naruto, it's almost lunch time," I told him, putting my hands on my hips. "I thought we could go and train together."

Naruto blinked up at me for a moment, unseeing. His blonde hair was messed up and ruffled and he didn't seem to have even noticed that he wasn't wearing a shirt. I sighed, and herded him inside.

"Get dressed, I'll sort out some food," I told him. The mention of food seemed to spark a little life into him, and he ran back to his bedroom.

I slid the backpack from my shoulders onto the counter and opened up the large front pocket. It was crammed full of vegetables, which I'd been planning to slip into Naruto's lunch. He hadn't been eating nearly enough fruit and veg lately - or indeed ever - and I was growing quite concerned with his health.

"Big sis, what the heck is this?" Naruto demanded when he returned to find a plate of carrot, cucumber and pepper sticks accompanied by a small pot of humous.

"It's healthy," I told him, arms crossed. "You have to eat it."

"It's gross, believe it!" Naruto pulled a face. "I'm not eating that!"

"Yes, you are," I insisted. "If you want a drink to get rid of the taste, that's fine, but you have to eat those vegetables."

"I won't!" Naruto crossed his arms and glared at me.

"Do I have to force you?" I met his gaze with my chin up, just daring him to challenge my authority.

"I guess you do, believe it!" Naruto turned tail and ran for the door.

"Naruto!" I yelled, immediately giving chase. That little idiot! Did he honestly think he was going to outrun me?

By the time I got out of the door, I couldn't tell if Naruto had gone left or right. I decided to go right, towards the park, and search for him from a tree. There were enough of them in Konoha for me to get a rough idea of where he was.

The park was barely a moment away running at full sprint, and I didn't pause for a minute when a tree loomed close, diving straight into the trunk. In seconds, I could see from the top and feel the chakra of everyone walking around and enjoying the sun. It took a moment to search, but finally I discovered Naruto crouching under a bush.

I decided not to emerge from the tree, but I travelled along through the grass and was inside Naruto's bush before I finally came out.

"Naruto!" I yelled in his ear.

"Gahh!" Naruto practically jumped out of his skin, and rolled out of the bush with a crash. "Where did you come from?"

"From the bush. You can't just run away, Naruto. You have to eat your veggies." I stood over him, hands on hips. I was confident that he would not be able to run away.

"No, no, no, no, no! I'm not! I won't! I won't!" Naruto squirmed underneath me, but I placed a foot on his back and pressed down with just enough force to keep him pinned. I bent down and dangled a carrot stick right in front of his mouth. I knew he was starving, and that he would have to cave eventually. I'd already stolen his wallet, so there was no chance of him running off to Ichiraku's and complaining to Teuchi.

"You will," I stated calmly. "Just trust me."

Naruto wriggled underneath my foot. "I refuse! I'll starve to death before I eat that, believe it!" Right on cue, his belly growled, and he stopped struggling for a moment to pause and sigh.

"See? You're hungry. You have to eat it," I coaxed.

"No!" Naruto struggled violently, and elbowed me hard in the ankle. It didn't hurt, but with a lucky shot he managed to hit a pressure point. My foot slipped, and Naruto used the opportunity to roll over and run off again.

"Naruto!" I yelled after him, but I couldn't run. I had to wait for the feeling to return to my ankle before I could put weight on it. It took a couple of minutes, and by that time Naruto was gone. I sighed. Trust him to be good at running away from people.

I was suddenly struck with an idea. Instead of chasing after Naruto, I turned and walked casually back to the market street. There stood Ichiraku's, the epicentre for my plan.

"Miyoshi! What will you have today?" Teuchi greeted me with a large grin.

"One veggie ramen and one miso ramen with extra pork to go," I said, sliding a couple of bills across the counter top.

"No Naruto with you today?" Teuchi asked as he mixed up the noodles.

"I'm taking it to him," I said. Teuchi placed the carrier bag on the counter, and I took it with a friendly goodbye.

I went back to the park rather than hunting down the mischievous child. A quick check of chakra in the area confirmed that Naruto was close, but if I was quick he wouldn't see what I was doing. I placed the carrier bag on a tree stump and took a length of invisible wire, tying it tightly around an overhanging branch. It coiled in a loop just in front of the tree stump. Now to wait.

I settled myself down comfortably with my veggie ramen. It was just as good as ever, and for a moment I was genuinely relishing the taste. I opened Naruto's box and used a small wind style jutsu, just strong enough for the scent to waft in the direction of Naruto's hiding place, a tree that I could just see the branches of over a tall oak that stood in the way.

It only took a few minutes for Naruto to notice. I could clearly see him creeping not-so-discreetly through the bushes, though he didn't seem to realise. He watched me through narrowed, suspicious eyes as I ate my ramen. Soon, he got a little careless and stepped out of the bush.

"Why are you eating ramen?" he asked with his arms crossed.

"I gave up," I lied. "I bought your favourite, come over and have some."

Naruto's expression cleared and his arms uncrossed. "Alright then, I will!"

He marched forward, but predictably, his ankle got caught in the trap and he ended up dangling from the tree above.

I laughed. "Having a little trouble, buddy?"

"Oh, so now we're back on the 'buddy', not 'Narutoooo!'" Naruto made a lousy, warbling impression of what I guessed was supposed to be me yelling his name. "I guess you're gonna make me eat those gross things now, right?"

"Vegetables," I said. "And yes, you can forget about your ramen."

"Aw man, you're the worst, Miyoshi!" Naruto complained. He started to wriggle around and attempted to get out, but only succeeded in swinging himself around.

"Are you going to eat them now?" I asked, holding out a carrot stick.

"No."

"Don't lie to me, Naruto Uzumaki!"

"I'm not lying, believe it!"

"EAT THE FREAKING VEGETABLES, CHILD!"