33 | when in need of info, go to the tea shop

Kakashi in disguise except it's not really a very good disguise

We arrived at the village late in the evening, and I was particularly annoyed. Kakashi had promised that it was only a ten minute journey.

"You said we'd be here earlier!" I complained to him.

"And we would have been, if we'd been running."

"I hate you." I scowled.

"Isn't that nice, dear," Kakashi responded. I wanted to rip his head off his neck for calling me 'dear', but I decided that I would wait until there weren't any witnesses.

Forcing myself to appear collected, I took another deep breath and put on a smile. "I'm getting kind of hungry, do you think there's anywhere we can stop and eat?"

"We can have a look around. Then we'll need to find an inn," Kakashi replied.

Ah, yes. The inn. And we would be in the same room. Joy. I pretended to be happy about it, but that demanded every drop of acting skill I could summon.

"Hey, that tea shop over there looks cute." I said instead, pointing at a squat little building. It was painted a pastel green, and the sign outside advertised various teas and a few meals. A few tables outside were set out, and people ducked in and out of the shop every now and then with an old woman who bustled around with teapots and trays.

As we approached, the old woman spotted us and came over. I was slightly alarmed when she grasped my hands in hers, but then she smiled warmly.

"A table for two, yes? You make a lovely couple. I remember when my husband and I just married, there weren't any of these fancy places around, and this village was barely built, but it was still a charming little place..."

The old woman led us to a little table right by the window, and continued to talk about nonsense that I barely understood while she handed us menus and fussed about the decorations on our table. She told us every last detail of her own wedding while she placed a small glass of roses on the table. I exchanged a glance with Kakashi, who shrugged minutely as if to say, just go with it.

"So, what is it you wanted?" The old woman asked, clasping her hands together. I inspected the menu.

"I'll have a green tea, please, and the pasta."

"I'll have a herbal tea and the fish," Kakashi said.

"Lovely, it'll be here in just a bit." The old woman smiled kindly and went back to the kitchen. I relaxed considerably, and slumped back in my chair as she left. I hated having to keep up the 'newly-wed couple' act, but if I dropped it even for a moment, I could forfeit the whole mission.

"You okay?" Kakashi's gaze flickered from the counter to me.

"I'm fine. Just... wondering what to do tomorrow. Take a walk somewhere nice, maybe. Somewhere green."

"You'll be hard-pressed to find somewhere green around here," a man with brown hair and a large, bushy beard cut in. He was sat with a group of other men around the table next to us, and had obviously heard everything Kakashi and I had said.

"Why is that?" I asked innocently.

"A few days ago, some creepy-looking guy passes through here," Bushy-beard began, with the air of someone about to tell an epic tale.

"Well creepy, 'e was," cut in one of his friends, who had sandy blonde hair. "Wore a long black cloak, di'n' 'e, an' never said nuffin' to no one. E'ryone fort 'e was a nutter."

"Prob'ly was," droned the third member of their party, whose hair flopped over his eyes like a mop of dirt.

"Anyway." Bushy-beard frowned. "This guy comes along, right, and next thing we know there ain't nothin growing proper. All a' the trees died off, an' none a' the farmer's crops have been growing right. They all wilted, an' none of the seeds is growing, neither."