9 | things were said

Picture is Hajimaru

I skidded into the hospital room, Tenzō following at a slightly more casual walk. To my relief, Kakashi was still there, sat up in his hospital bed reading a book with an orange cover.

"Icha Icha Paradise," I read. "Didn't think you were into that kind of thing, Kakashi."

The silver-haired ANBU captain hurriedly stowed the book away. "Minato-sensei gave it to me. It's not as bad as it looks."

"So how come you're bright red?" I asked, sitting down on the bed beside him. Oh, how I loved being annoying.

"I'm not." The little portion of Kakashi's face that I could see went even redder. "Anyway, where have you been?"

"Committing suicide," Tenzō said darkly. I slapped his arm.

"No, I wasn't. Don't exaggerate. I was only training, trying to use plant chakra in a jutsu."

"That was suicide," Kakashi said with a bored expression.

"Pfft, no it wasn't." I dismissed his comment with a flick of my hand. "I was fine, and besides, I'm the medic here, not you two."

"That's your excuse whenever you're the one doing stupid stuff, but you'd murder Kakashi if he tried to get out of bed, and he looks just as healthy as you are," Tenzō reprimanded. I rolled my eyes.

"You're not my mom, honestly."

Secretly, I was quite happy. This was the first civilised conversation I'd had with Kakashi in a while, although I wasn't going to point that out and jinx it.

"What're you smiling about?" Kakashi asked suspiciously.

"I still can't believe that Minato-sensei convinced you to read that book." I giggled. "Aren't they eighteen plus?"

"I'm nineteen." Kakashi narrowed his eyes.

"Oh. Well, I'm not." The smile still would not fade from my face. "Actually, it's nearly my birthday. Did you know that?"

"Yes," Kakashi responded, disinterested. "I'm the captain, it's my job to know everyone's date of birth, place of residence, age of academy graduation, age of Chunin promotion-"

"Yada yada yada." I interrupted. "I really don't care about all that. But," I giggled, "Minato-sensei gave it to you when you were fourteen, right? For a guy who literally made laws, he sure liked breaking rules, didn't he?"

Kakashi glared at me.

"Are you doing anything tonight, Kakashi?" I asked suddenly. "Because I was thinking about getting all our classmates together for a drink or something."

"Do you really think I have time for that kind of stuff?"

"Yes, I do, because I'm practically in charge of this hospital, and I have time to go out in the evenings."

"Do I have to?"

"Yes." I grinned. Finally I was getting somewhere!

"What if I don't show up?"

"I'll go to your house and drag you there." I replied cheerfully.

"How do you know where I live?" Kakashi scowled.

"Obito took me there once to toilet-paper your house. That was fun." I reminisced.

Kakashi's features, or what little I could see of them, were suddenly drawn and tight. His gaze was hard and unseeing, and I knew instantly that bringing up Obito's name was a mistake.