11 | just like old times

Picture is Miyoshi, Teren and Garake

I knocked on the door carefully.

"Come in."

I entered the Hokage's office and bowed. "You wanted to see me, Lord Hokage?"

"Yes. I'm afraid I have a rather unusual request for you." The Hokage motioned for me to rise. "I'd like you to complete a mission not as an ANBU, but as a Jonin."

"Really? Can't you send another Jonin?" I asked, quite surprised.

Lord Third shook his head. "This is a specialised mission. It has to be you. But I have put you on a team with two other Jonin that you know well. They should be here soon."

"Who?" I asked curiously, but Lord Third was spared from answering by loud arguing down the hall.

"It's your fault we're late, you didn't need to pack so many snacks!"

"Would you rather we starved?!"

I watched in amusement as Teren and Garake pushed their way into the Hokage's office, too preoccupied with their argument to notice me. Lord Third cleared his throat, and they fell silent.

"Hey, Miyoshi! Are you doing the mission too?" Garake questioned, noticing me suddenly.

"Apparently. Not too sure why."

"I was just about to explain," Lord Third said. "This will be an investigation mission. The subject of investigation is closely linked to you, Miyoshi, so I deemed it best that you be squad leader for this mission. That is also why you have old teammates with you on this mission."

"What rank, sir?" I asked.

"This is an A-rank mission." The Hokage handed me a scroll. "You'll be looking into a Hidden Grass ninja who seems to have an interest in your clan. Your job is to track him down and discover what he knows, then report back to me."

"Will we be required to eliminate, sir?" I ignored the horrified expressions on Teren and Garake's faces at my choice of vocabulary.

"Only if you deem it necessary. We don't want unnecessary conflict with another village."

"Yes, sir." I allowed myself a smile. It had been a while since I'd had a nice, peaceful mission like this. At least, I hoped it would be peaceful.

"You're dismissed."

We left the Hokage's office together. Teren and Garake were a little unnerved by how happy I was.

"It's been ages since we did a mission together." I grinned. "It'll be just like old times."

"Did the scroll give any leads on where to start?" Teren asked.

"Nope!" I replied cheerfully. "We've got to start from scratch."

"Great," Teren groaned. "Please take this mission seriously?"

"Of course I will! I'm a trained ANBU, you know!" I exclaimed.

"I dunno about the 'trained' part." Teren rolled his eyes. "It was kind of a surprise appointment, wasn't it? Why are you so happy, anyway?"

"I'm sick to death of ANBU missions." I scowled. "All the murder and torture and more murder... it gets too much after a while. I need a nice, relaxing A-rank to let loose for a bit."

"Relaxing?" Teren raised an eyebrow. "Since when is A-rank relaxing?"

"Since I get nothing but S-rank," I told him. "Hey Garake, you've been quiet, is something up?"