89 | filling the hole

I woke up and Kakashi was still there, in the same position; my head on his chest, his hand in my hair, snoring softly into his shoulder. I waited for him to wake up, not wanting to wake him myself by getting up and moving around.

When Kakashi finally did open his one visible eye, he seemed a little off, though I couldn't put my finger on it.

He sighed softly, then spoke with that rough morning voice I loved. "The problem with you is that when you insist I stay while you fall asleep, I end up here all night."

"People probably take it the wrong way," I said.

"Probably," Kakashi agreed.

"Do you care?"

"No."

"Me neither."

Kakashi bent down and kissed me softly on the lips. I savoured the feeling of his lips on mine. Already the great emptiness was being filled.

I came to a sudden realisation, and broke the kiss. Kakashi seemed very confused, but I didn't have time to answer his questions.

"It's six forty-five," I said. "He probably won't be up, but he needs to be."

I leaped off the bed, tore open the curtains and flung the window open. The weather was looking nice, considering it was nearing December. Perfect.

"Where are you-?" Kakashi began, but I cut him off.

"I'm going out, I'll probably be gone all day, do whatever the hell you want." Having said those words, I dropped out of the window and used chakra to slide down the wall into the garden. It was still a mess, but it was a mess I would have to fix later.

"Miyoshi!" Kakashi yelled, leaning out of my window. "Why all this all of a sudden?"

"I just had an idea!" I called in response. "Don't wait for me!" I grabbed Hokori and Yorokobi from the ground and sprinted off over the rooftops.

I arrived in front of the small door upon which the familiar red swirl was painted. I had a brief memory of coming down with Naruto to paint it on. There were still little red fingerprints from where he'd forgotten that the paint was wet.

I knocked harshly on the door, but I knew Naruto wouldn't wake up from that. Getting past the door was a simple task; any decent shinobi in espionage had a lock pick, and Naruto's lock was the cheapest one money could buy, thus it was easy to bypass.

I went straight to Naruto's room. He was completely knocked out on the bed, hanging off the side with his bedsheets scattered.

"Naruto, wake up!" I clapped loudly, and Naruto flinched at the sudden noise. "Come on, up up up! Training starts today, and we've got to do a thorough job!"

"But it's Saturday..." Naruto complained drowsily. "I wanna sleep today."

"Oh, no you don't." I snatched Naruto's duvet and pillow, leaving him sprawled out in the open with no warmth.

"What time is it?" Naruto yawned, stretching out his arms.

"Seven am, on the dot," I replied.

"That's too early, believe it." Naruto rolled over onto his back, and as soon as his eyes met mine, he yelped in shock. "Miyoshi?!"

"Who did you think it was, knucklehead?" I teased. "Let's go!"

"But... I don't get it!" Naruto sat up straight and pointed at me accusingly. "You didn't talk to me once when I went to your house and now you're here to help me train?"

"I wasn't feeling well," I half-lied. "But I've got a whole new training regimen, and every minute you're late I'm adding a lap to the run!"

"What?!" Naruto exclaimed, leaping out of bed. "That's not fair, believe it!"

I shrugged. "If you get dressed in the next five minutes, I'll even buy you ramen for breakfast."

"I'm going!" Naruto began rooting through his drawers for his clothes. I stepped out of the room to give him some space.

Four and a half minutes later, Naruto emerged from his room fully dressed. "Can we get Ichiraku's?"

"If we run," I replied. "Quickly, or we won't have any time!"

"Time for what?" Naruto asked, but I was already running. He had to flat out sprint to keep up, and he complained about it a few times before we finally reached Ichiraku's.

Teuchi wasn't around, but his fourteen-year-old daughter Ayane was there. She smiled brightly when she saw us approaching.

"Hi! My dad's gone to pick up some ingredients, but what can I get for you?"

"One veggie ramen and one pork ramen to go," I replied.

"To go?" Naruto picked up. "Why to go?"

"Because I have an intense training program planned for you, I've told you this. We won't have time to stop and eat if we want to fit it in one day."

"Wait, we're going to be training all day? That's crazy, believe it!"

"It's what all shinobi do," I pointed out. "Especially the higher ranks. If you're going to be the greatest number ninja ever, you need to be great all the time."

"That doesn't mean we gotta be out all day." Naruto grumbled.

Ayane placed two boxes of ramen on the counter. "All done!"

"Thanks very much." I smiled at her as I placed a handful of bills down and took the ramen. "Naruto, we're going to training ground 6, 'kay?"

"I've never been there before." Naruto slid off his seat and followed me down the path.

"That's because they usually save it for Chunin and Jonin, but I'll be there, so it's fine," I replied.

"Why's it just for Chunin and Jonin?" Naruto asked.

"Because it's up there." I pointed. Training ground 6 was famous for being impossible for low-ranked ninja to reach, because just getting to it meant scaling a sixty foot cliff. Once up there, it was difficult to keep away from the edges. I was confident that I'd be able to protect Naruto while he was with me, and for now it would be excellent training.

"I can't go up there," Naruto said.

"Well, soon you will," I replied, placing a hand on his shoulder and pushing him forward. "Because task number one is to scale that cliff."