46 | ambush

One thing I hadn't realised was exactly how long recovery was. I was told by a couple of different doctors that I would have to stay in the hospital for about a week before being discharged. I was a little indignant about that discovery, but soon realised that it was for good reason as I was often too tired to do anything but lie in bed. The heat didn't help, either; I often dozed off and woke up to find my pillow drenched with sweat. One doctor had brought a bag of ice and a pitcher of ice cold water with a couple of glasses to try and combat this, but the ice had melted quickly.

Kakashi had still not left my side. I wasn't sure if I should be impressed by his loyalty, or irritated by his laziness. I had a tendency to flick between the two depending on my mood, which Kakashi picked up on. I had to give him credit, though; he'd quickly learned how to respond to my various moods, a feat accomplished by very few people. Reflecting for a moment, I realised that the only others had been Hajimaru, Mama and Tsumari. Teren and Garake were close, but they tended to just back off when I got too snappy.

It felt like an age before I was finally released. Upon receiving the joyful news, I flung off the blanket of the hospital bed and practically leaped out.

"I'm going home, Kashi, see you around!" I announced, skipping out the room. I'd had quite enough of the hospital for one lifetime.

By the time I got home, however, Kakashi was waiting by my front door.

"Yo," he greeted me lazily.

"How did you beat me here?" I asked.

"I ran," Kakashi said as though it was obvious. "I'm supposed to hang around for a week as a guard. Hokage's orders."

My smile vanished, and was immediately replaced with a scowl. "Fine. The rooms on the bottom floor are for guests. Pick one and try not to bother me."

"Aye aye, captain." Kakashi saluted, almost mockingly. I narrowed my eyes at him, a glare that told him clearly that I was in charge while he was in my house.

"Also, while you live in my house, you follow my rules. Feel free to use the training grounds out back to your heart's content, but the garden is off-limits to everyone but me. I'll know if you've been in there. And no meat under this roof, got it?"

"Alright, I get it." Kakashi raised his hands in surrender and followed me into the house. "I'm allowed to go out and get takeout, though, right?"

"I said under this roof, not ever." I rolled my eyes. "I'm not going to force you to do anything. I'm just politely reminding you that I have a huge advantage if we got into a fight."

"I won't get into a fight!" Kakashi insisted.

"No, but I might if you break my rules," I pointed out.

"Ooh, there are rules now?" asked a dark face peeping around the front door.

"Ooh, there are stalkers now?" I retaliated, mocking the rogue ninja's tone. Kokuyōseki snickered before letting himself in. "Hey, my house! If we're going to fight, let's take it outside."

"If you say so, princess." Kokuyōseki bowed exaggeratedly, a great sweeping motion complete with elaborate arm action that sent the edges of his cloak sweeping across the wooden flooring.

"Princess?" Kakashi glanced at me sideways. I could see the alertness in his eyes, and in his stance. He wasn't attacking yet, but he would at a moment's notice.