115 | the end of it all

I couldn't get Sasuke to say another word to me after that. Even though I stopped by the apartment where he'd been put up every day and brought him food, money and anything else he needed, he still wouldn't say anything to me. The year dragged on reluctantly, and so did much of the next, and though I tried my best to make my life go back to normal, it still felt like something huge was missing.

Kakashi was brilliant through it all. He didn't once complain that I was shutting him out, but when I needed a shoulder to cry on, he was the first one there every time.

"We should think about our wedding," Kakashi said one day as he cooked up a dinner.

"We should," I agreed. "When do you want to do it?"

"I don't mind. Did you have a time of year in mind?"

"Not specifically." I considered for a moment. "A winter wedding would be beautiful."

"And freezing cold," Kakashi pointed out. "I don't want you dying of hypothermia on our wedding day."

"I guess so." I put my head on my hand. "Maybe autumn?"

"Maybe," Kakashi conceded.

"Not September, that's too near your birthday," I said. "And there's Naruto and Damaru in October."

"Why are birthdays an issue?" Kakashi asked. "We could just do it anyway."

"Yeah, but I don't want our anniversary to be in the same month as people's birthdays. Just don't question it. How about November?"

"I guess November works. Between our birthdays."

"Yeah. We're not doing it in winter, apparently, and I don't want to wait a full year to get married in the spring, as beautiful as that would be. Summer... I don't know. It feels too close. We wouldn't have any time to plan."

"Fair reasoning." Kakashi placed a plate of some pasta-y dish in front of me. He'd told me what it was, but I hadn't been listening. I looked down at it.

"You know, when I'm married, I'm allowed to eat meat."

"Really?"

I hummed in confirmation. "If I give up my Clan name, I can give up the Clan traditions as well."

"Would you?" Kakashi asked.

"Give up the name or traditions?"

"Both."

I thought for a moment. "Yes. I think... I'd rather have your name than mine. And I've always wanted to try bacon."

Kakashi smiled. "Fair reasoning," he said again. "And you wouldn't mind that getting married would mark the official death of your Clan?"

"It was going to happen anyway," I said. "I've been ready for it for a long time now."

Kakashi nodded slowly, almost to himself. "November third," he said.

"What about it?"

"We should get married on November third. First Saturday of November."

"That's a good idea. Now if we can figure out where, we can send out invitations."

"To who?"

"Everyone we've ever interacted with," I said seriously. "The whole village! Who would want to miss out on a party? We have to have a party!"

"We are absolutely not inviting the whole village," Kakashi said. "I don't want loads of people watching."

I pouted. "Fine. We'll pick out actual friends, then. So Tsumari, Teren and Kanari, Garake, Kurenai and Asuma, Gai, Genma, Raidō-"

"Alright, we don't need to list everyone now." Kakashi sighed. "Let's talk about the venue, then."

"Let's do it outside!" I said excitedly. "Oh! We could do it by the lake! It's so pretty virtually all year round, it would be perfect!"

"We'd have to get the Hokage's permission," Kakashi murmured thoughtfully, "but that's definitely an option."

"I should plan weddings for a living," I decided. "If this whole ninja thing doesn't work out, I should be a wedding planner."

"Please don't," Kakashi said.

I grinned. "I was kidding. I actually think that maybe we should hire someone to do this for us."

"I don't know, I think we can manage," Kakashi said.

"So what about that party?" I asked.

"I guess you could have a bridal shower or something," Kakashi said.

"What about-" I was cut off by a tapping on the window, and turned to see a messenger hawk with a scroll in its beak, waiting on the windowsill. I opened the window and took the scroll to see that it was a Summon from the Hokage.

"What is it?" Kakashi asked.

"Ugh. I have another mission." I rolled my eyes.

"How long?" Kakashi asked with a frown.

"Dunno. I'll go see the Hokage." I pecked his cheek. "I promise I'll be back before the wedding. It won't take six months."

"Be safe," Kakashi said.

"Oh, do try and keep yourself together while I'm gone." I winked. "No need for more public breakdowns."

Kakashi rolled his eyes. "Bye. Don't be too long."

"See ya."

I strolled up to the Hokage's office, wondering if while I was there I could ask to use the lake as a wedding venue. Kakashi hadn't opposed or come up with any better ideas, which meant we would probably end up doing that.

I knocked before I entered today, but I didn't wait to be allowed in. The Hokage wasn't doing anything anyway. He always seemed to be sat alone at that desk... I'd never understand why people wanted to do that, but hey. Let 'em dream.

"I got the Summon," I said, holding it up in one hand.

"Yes. I've receive a distress call from a small village in the Land of Fire asking for an experienced medic with skill in combat as well. The message detailed an odd occurrence wherein civilians are entering a certain part of the village outskirts and coming out half dead. They're all in critical condition, but there are no healers in that town."

"Sure, I can go down there, no problem," I said. "Do they know why all that's going on?"

"No," Lord Third said, "which is why they asked for someone with combat skill. There's talk of ghosts and monsters, but the likelihood is that there's a rogue ninja taking shelter in that area, and is keeping civilians away."

"Cool. How long d'you reckon it'll take?"

"That is entirely dependent on a number of factors, but probably no more than two months."

"Perfect," I said. "I'll be back soon, then."

"Travel safely."

I walked out of the village gates, completely unaware that that would be the last that anyone saw or heard of Miyoshi Uraka.